Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Mateo groans away hearing the sounds of the city and the dull glow of the morning sun. Sitting up he rolls out the cricks in his neck and stretches out his back. He really is getting old. Ten years ago, he could have slept anywhere, anyhow and wake up ready for battle, now he's denied a sturdy mattress for one night and his body protests. Checking his phone for the time, Mateo shrugs on his t-shirt. He stands to straighten the rest of himself and sling on his holster when he hears noise that are definitely from within the house. Forgetting the holster, he grabs his gun and stealthily glides along the hallway to the source of the sound.

He slowly pushes open the door to what he's guessing is the kitchen while keeping his finger on the safety, ready to flick it off at the first sign of a threat.

"Morning," mutters his host, her back still to him as she pushes the coffee pot in its holder.

Mateo's body relaxes and he places the gun on the countertop while rubbing a hand over his face and through his hair. Woman nearly gave him a heart attack. With her back to him, he's free to scan her head to toe. She's barefoot, in that same robe and has her hair up in some puffy updo. Exactly the same as last night but in the morning light her skin is more golden and she feels all the more real.

"Good morning," he replies, leaning against the counter while she turns to him.

Mateo almost groans again at the sight of her front. Unlike last night, tonight the robe is only loosely tied which means it parts to show off the laced, low neckline of her chemise. As soon as he notices her nipples outlined by the silk of the nightie he has to glance away. Thankfully, she's gazing from the gun to him to have noticed.

"Coffee will be done in a few minutes. I've put out a new toothbrush upstairs in the bathroom if you want," she offers.

He knows he should get going. Roxie will be missing him but he really does need the bathroom and to get rid of his morning breath.
"Alright thanks," he agrees.

Mateo finishes up by washing his face, the cold water wiping away some of the fatigue. Any disillusions he may have had of the vibrant woman downstairs wanting him disappears as he stares back at his reflections. Ever since the divorce, Mateo swears he's aged twice as fast. 

The circles under his eyes are dark and his normal tan skin tone looks paler than it should. The scruff around his face he normally keeps as stubble is growing long into the start of a full on beard. All he does these days is work, go home and workout. Even his diet has gone to shambles. 

He enjoys cooking but less so when it's just him eating it which is why at least one of his meals these days is a protein shake. Luckily the bland, utilitarian diet and brutal workouts means there's no beginnings of a middle age paunch. At least he has that going for him. Though he doubts Makayla Summers is looking for just a hard body. Of course, if she is, he's happy to offer up his.

Chuckling to himself, he places the used brush in the holder beside her lonely one. She'll probably just toss it out but something makes him leave it in there.

When he returns to the kitchen, she's sipping her coffee leant against countertop, one toned leg crossed over the other. It hikes up the material that's already far too short to reveal more of those thick, golden thighs.

"I don't have much in the way of breakfast but I can fix you a cup."

She places her own cup down and starts to glide towards the cupboard she keep the mugs. He stops her midway.