5. Surprises

Her assessment of the wine surprised me. From understanding neither the name nor the bubbles to being spot-on with the complexity of the nose. Is she playing another game? "From where does your refined palate come, Roxy?"

"Palate? I got those from the smell, not the taste."

"Ah, but the sense of taste is actually smell. The mouth and tongue assess the feel – the texture and temperature – as well as the salty, sweet, acid, bitter and savoury aspects. The nasal passages at the back of the mouth lead past the olfactory bulb, which identifies the flavours and aromas."

She nodded. "Yes, from my physiology studies. But how do you know about this?"

"My business."

"Sorry!"

"What? Why sorry?"

"Not proper to dig into other's personal stuff."

I chuckled. "That's not what I had meant. I know it from my involvement with the wine and food businesses."

"Oh!"

Hmmm! Maybe a wine neophyte with an elevated olfactory perception – or developed elsewhere. "So, how have you acquired your palate?"

"Identifying the smells?" She shrugged. "Papá had a fruit and vegetable stand in the Granville Island Market. Mostly fresh, but he had a large selection of nuts and dried fruits. We helped on the weekends and through the summers."

"So, smelling for ripeness and spoilage?"

"That, and when it was slow, my sister and I used to play a game – eyes closed and guessing what was put under our nose."

"Aha! Similar to what I've done in my wine courses, teaching how to describe the bouquet and palate."

"So, you're a teacher? Your profile says financial advisor."

"I began as a chartered accountant and stockbroker. Then when I got my MBA, I set up a small wealth management practice for those wanting personal service."

"For those who don't like dealing with banks?"

"Partly. But also to receive more focused attention."

She remained silent for a long while, nodding. Then she asked, "How does teaching wine tasting come into this?"

"As my business flourished, it afforded me the wherewithal to delve more deeply into fine dining and great wine." How much should I tell her? Is it proper to mention Gillian?

I savoured another sip of Champagne while I pondered. Still don't know her game. Might be best to obfuscate a bit until I discover what she's about. Such a beautiful woman, but...

My thoughts were cut off by the arrival of the waiter, and as he held out the menus, he said, "You likely don't need these, Mr Dunstrom."

"True, but my guest might."

"Why I brought them, sir."

"Excellent! What have we this evening?"

"As entrées, seared Texada scallops with matsutakes and shiitakes, Dungeness crab ravioli with truffle beurre blanc, and a torchon of Lasquiti foie gras with Sechelt huckleberry purée. As mains, the catch of the day is line-caught Howe Sound red snapper, and the game is grilled Pemberton free-range venison chop."

I looked across the table to see Roxy with eyes round and mouth open as she stared at me. Surprise or awe, I couldn't decide which.

Then after a pause to allow her to absorb the information, I asked, "Anything among these intrigue you, or would you prefer to look at the menu?"