27. Heading Back

Roxy loaded the dishwasher while I cleaned the stove and countertops, then after another hug and kiss, we headed up to the cockpit. Oh, God! So exposed as she climbs the steps. Need to focus; otherwise, we won't make it back until dark.

The afternoon had begun cooling, and when I returned aft from releasing the anchor snubbers, Roxy had dressed, relieving me from the embarrassment of so frequently showing my interest.

With the windlass set to shorten-in the rode, I slipped on my shirt and buttoned it. Then as I stepped into my jeans, she asked, "No boxers?"

"Useless for me; their legs are too short." I shrugged. "I usually wear jockeys or briefs to keep things in place, but for sailing and climbing, I prefer to hang free."

"Ummm. Like me and bras – I prefer unhindered."

"Exactly. Do you want to sail us off the anchor?"

"Hunh? Sorry, my mind was elsewhere. I misunderstood your question."

"The breeze is favourable to sail Tastevin off her anchor. I'll let you do it."

"That's what I thought I had heard. You can't be serious."

"Absolutely serious. You said you often do it." I chuckled." And remember, size doesn't matter."

I watched her face morph into a sublime expression as she nodded. Then I pointed at the windlass buttons. "I've set it to stop at nine metres, which with this tide is close to up-and-down. By then, we'll be perfectly up into the wind, and you can direct me on the sails as you weigh."

A while later, after we had rounded the Shelter Islets, Roxy pointed Tastevin toward the centre of Shoal Channel and settled onto a tack. "So many times here, it's almost automatic, now. Do you come here often?"

I nodded. "I find it a peaceful setting to do work that doesn't involve meeting clients – which reminds me – I've printed a list of associates for you to choose among. I'll go down and get it."

Back up into the cockpit, I handed her the list, "These six are all CGMAs."

"What's that?"

"Chartered Global Management Accountants – the highest level in the accounting world."

"Oh! Are you one?"

I nodded. "Yes, I am – there are about fifteen hundred of us in Canada."

"Wow! Far fewer than medical doctors. Nearly ten times that many in BC alone."

"We're about a hundred and fifty here." I shrugged. "Think, though. Far more people need basic medical care than require financial guidance at the top level. But that's comparing apples to oranges, generalists to specialists – there are over thirty-five thousand chartered accountants in BC. A better comparison would be to the number of neurosurgeons, cardiologists or psychophysiologists."

"True." Roxy pursed her lips as she scanned the list. "Which do you recommend, Xander?"

"Any of them. It might be best to choose the firm where most of your holdings are."

"Ummm, yeah. I need to dig through the files. Not done that in a long time."

After staring at the page for a while in silence, she asked, "So that I'm not seen as just anyone off the street, could you write a note here? Something simple, so they know it's you who had referred me."

"Yes, I can do that."