8. Magical Match

I watched Xander's face morph from wistful and triste through confused to something resembling awe. So emotive. So endearing. So dangerous.

Had I said too much? Share very little personal information, Melissa had said. Darn it all! How easy it is to get sucked in. But will he find anything in that to identify me? What might he glean from it? Other than I love cooking.

I reexamined my spiel on cuisine preferences while I luxuriated in another bite of the crab ravioli. Nothing revealing. I chuckled to myself. Nothing other than this low-cut top and push-up Melissa had told me to wear. Bait, she had called it.

A sip of wine as I finished the bite brought magic to my mouth, causing me to tremble. Oh, wow! Wish I had looked at the label when it was poured. Need to put some of this in my fridge. Vee own yay, the wine waiter had called it – never heard of it, so it's likely way over my budget. Maybe ask Xander.

Best to keep our conversation focused on food and wine, anyway. Easier and more enjoyable, and it'll allow me to really get into this dinner. Forget about laying a trap for a while. Do that later – after another dinner. After a few, maybe. Oh, God! Now, who's evil?

I watched him pick up his glass – by the stem, not by the bowl. Likely to keep his fingers from getting wet with the condensation, so I copied. Then when he had swirled the wine and brought the glass to his nose, I did the same.

The smell was now as if I had turned up its volume, and after I had revelled in it for a while, he asked, "What do you find in this one, Roxy?"

Delighted that I knew what he meant, I smiled at him. "Flowers. Like honeysuckles and roses. And there's apricot – a fresh one, not dried like in the Champagne. And a very ripe mango." I brought the glass to my nose again and gently inhaled. "And vanilla and nutmeg – and cloves."

"Oh, wow. You took the words straight out of my analysis. Or you read my mind." His gaze fixed on my eyes,

There's that stare again. Piercing. What does he see? Does he suspect?

How could he? I've barely touched on financial stuff. Best to keep it that way to ensure he sees nothing strange.

I heaved a sigh of relief. My justification for continuing to see him a while longer.

What?

To enjoy dining like this, stupid. Why else?

"You appear to be lost in your thoughts, Roxy."

"Hmmm. Loving this wine and how it enhances the ravioli – or is it the ravioli that enhances the wine?"

"Both. A proper wine and food match is when each enhances the other." He swirled his glass again and nodded to his plate. "And this is a superb example of that."

He took another sip, then he continued, "Just as people in an ideal relationship; each bringing out the best in the other."

Oh, my! Talking relationship already. But Melissa had said they move fast. Charm, impress, gain confidence, befriend – what were the next steps? Whatever; I just need to go along with this, or else we won't nab him.