Lost Stars

"You look exquisitely dapper today."

He forced out a smile and sat down beside her on the bench, "You clean up real well, too."

The silence was deafening but no one seemed to mind it. No one wanted to speak, but deep inside, they know what's going to happens next.

Nadine faced James with tears in her eyes, "I love you. So much."

He faced her, trying to stop his tears from falling, "I'll always love you more."

"Maybe someday, Nadine." he managed to let out a chuckle, "We need a lot of growing up to do."

She chuckled and wiped her tears carelessly, "You know, I always thought that if we had to grow up, we'd do it together."

He pulls her closer as his tears finally trickle down his cheeks, "Baby, you know that's not possible."

"I know." She smiled and wiped his tears, "I was just hoping."

He sighed and she rested her head on his shoulder.

"I'm leaving tomorrow."

He looked at her and saw sadness in her eyes. James smiled slightly, "That's great, baby. Para makalimutan mo ako kagad."

She rolled her eyes, "Yeah. Special ka, ah. Kailangan ko pa pumunta ng ibang bansa para makalimutan ka."

They both chuckle and sighed. James spoke, "I want you to stay."

"I know."

"But I can't be selfish again."

She looked at him and held his cheek, "Never ka naging selfish. I was the immature one, James. Please stop blaming yourself."

He stared at her and smiled, "I want you to be happy."

"But I'm happy. With you."

He frowned. Nadine smiled, "I am happy with you. I just need to be happy, by myself this time."

He nodded and hugged her tightly, "Maybe when the stars align, Nadz."

She chuckled, "Yeah."

They watched the stars and soon enough, they felt that it was time to go.

She pulled him into a kiss with so much pain and sorrow, both could not contain their tears.

"I love you." He said.

She cried and chuckled at the same time, "Sobrang mahal talaga kita."

He wiped her tears and kissed her again. They pulled away and he placed his forehead on hers.

"I love you, James."

"I'll always love you more."

He pulled away and they held hands for one last time.

"Goodbye, Nadine."

"Goodbye, James."

----

"Mom! I gotta go, ma l-late ako sa flight ko."

"Okay, you take care, Alexis ha? Say hi to your dad for me!" Her mom hugged her and gave her the last luggage.

She took a deep breath. It has been 5 years since she left the Philippines. She studied abroad, but decided to go back for her dad.

Nadine walked through the crowd of balik-bayans in the airport when a push cart hit her foot.

"Aray!" She kneeled down and rubbed her foot, "Kuya, di ka naman kasi nagiinga-" she looked up and saw a very familiar face.