Chapter 4: Why Can't I Just Get A Break!?

(Percy POV - Before the time travel)

Today is supposed to be relaxed, calm. There wasn't too much foot traffic at CHB and CJ, so all of us decided to take a break. They were going to come to New York. A picnic at Central Park was the main plan but Lachesis, Atropos and Clotho just couldn't give us a peaceful day, could they?

No! They decided to test our patience much more than our limits. We were all sitting on a picnic blanket. Nico was in Will's lap, I had a bunch of lipstick marks on my face, Piper was hanging from a tree, Frank was a golden retriever, Annabeth, Calypso, Jason and Hazel were eating sandwiches and Reyna was covered with feathers. How did all this happen? It was Leo's idea to play Truth or Dare.  The rest of the chaos just followed.

But the trouble was yet to begin. Unbeknownst to all of us, a swirling vortex was opening underneath us and we got sucked right in. After a brief moment of panic, all I could think of was: 

Where is Annabeth?

All I could see was darkness. Then I dropped onto grass. The sky was dark but I could see a few stars. It was like all the pollution had suddenly cleared up. The moon shone bright, Artemis must be happy. It seemed peaceful, yet somehow, out of time. I needed to make sure that everyone was alright before I could look any further.  

'Annabeth? ANNABETH? PIPER? JASON? NICO? WILL? LEO? REYNA? HAZEL? FRANK? CALYPSO? ARE ALL OF YOU ALRIGHT?' I shouted. 

In the dim light, a hand grabbed my forearm. Thinking that it was a monster, I judo-flipped it over my shoulder. A soft thump was followed by an outraged cry from Leo. Guess it wasn't a monster.

Annabeth's voice drifted over to me. 'I need a headcount.  Leo? Give us some light please?'

Leo, who was on the ground because of me, said, 'Follow me Moths. Towards the light!'

'Leo! Who can you see?' Piper asked from behind me.

But Leo and I were fighting something. Or, rather, someone. 

'Seriously Kelli? Why can't you leave us alone, man?'

'Who isssss thissssss Kelli? Tremble before me! I am the mighty Karen!'

'Sorry Karen! You just look way too similar with an acquaintance of mine! See, the thing is, she messed with my friends and I alot. Now, she is stuck in the Pit.' I said, pulling out Riptide. 'Both of you need to learn to stop interfering. Now Jason!'

All throughout my grand speech, Jason had snuck behind her and as soon as I finished, Jason brought down his new sword between 'Karen's' shoulder blades. She disintegrated slowly into golden dust right before my eyes. 

'Nice aim, bro!'

'Not as good as you, bro!'

'OKAY guys. Can we break this up? Because as far as I remember....' Frank drifted off.

'Wasn't it evening when we were eating?' Hazel finished.

I finally noticed the surrounding that I was standing in. The trees seemed smaller. The clouds almost non-existent. And it was way too calm for a New York night. In my awareness, I didn't notice the mind link open up.

Perce! Percy! Perseus Jackson! BLUE COOKIES!

GAHHH! WHERE ARE THE COOKIES?

Percy? Where are you?

I-I'm in New York. But it seems older. We're all at Central Park but... it's different.

Sit tight! All of you. I'm sending one of my friends to pick you up. Don't trust anyone. Don't talk to anyone. Stay right where you are.