Three: Full Piece Band

Jack gets up and leaves before Alex has a chance to say anything in response. He goes to the dining hall and swipes himself in. He takes a grilled cheese and a side of chips, frowning at the quality of the food.

"Hey, buddy." Zack says as Jack sits down with him. "Rian and Alex are meeting up with me. So-"

"I know." Jack mutters and takes an aggressive bite out of his sandwich.

"Then what are you doing here?" Zack says, laughing a bit at how ridiculous he is.

"I- I'm want to hang out with you. I'm sure you'd rather be with me than alone with them... right?" He looks up.

"I- sure. Just don't say anything stupid." Zack says with a sigh, not wanting Jack to ruin his chance of befriending them.

"I'll only say something if he does. I'm not going to let myself be talked down to by him. He called me an asshole today. Can you believe that?"

"Well, Yeah." Zack says, causing Jack to roll his eyes even more. "What do you have against him anyway?" He asks and Jack blatantly ignores him.

~

Alex finishes putting his clothes away, he smiles at his progress, then laughs when his stomach congratulates him on a job well done. He sends Rian a text, asking if he's ready for dinner.

Alex: Hey Ri, you ready to eat? I'm starving.

Rian: Hey man, yeah I'm starving too. Zack is already in the dining hall and apparently Jack is there too? You gonna be okay?

Alex: Yeah he decided he was joining us 🙄 I'll be fine, not letting him bother me anymore. If he wants to make himself miserable by hating me, let him! Just gonna ignore him, what's the point in making myself miserable too, y'know?

Rian: Attaboy, I'm proud of you. I'll meet you over there in 5.

He smiles, grabs his leather jacket, and makes his way to the dining hall. He pulls Rian into a tight hug and they go and get food. An italian hero with chips for Rian and chicken fingers and fries with honey mustard for himself. They go sit at the table, giving Zack a high five on the way in. He completely ignores Jack as they start eating, getting to know Zack.

"Hey, so glad you could eat with us! I never really got a chance to get to know you in high school, but if you're this guy's roommate, I want to get to know you now!" He bumps Rian with his elbow, who steals a fry in retaliation. He laughs and continues speaking.
"Ri said you play bass? That's so cool! I sing and play a little guitar myself."

"Do you really?" Zack's eyes light up. "I've been playing bass for a few years but it's been my dream since I was real young. I'm sure you know about Rian's talent for the drums. He was showing me videos earlier. Look at that huh? Basically got a full piece band here. " Zack says with a smile.

"I mean usually Zack plays bass while I play guitar." Jack says, getting noticeably aggravated by his friend getting along with them so well.

"Mhm. You ever write any of your own songs?" Zack asks, ignoring Jack's comment.

Jack lingers on Alex's words for a second. He realizes they have more in common than he ever bothered to know. The posters earlier and now he plays guitar. He tries thinking of another thing he could say to get the sass out of Alex that he heard earlier because he enjoyed it. He didn't like Alex ignoring his comments he wanted the attention. Not from anyone else though. He didnt care to egg on Rian at all.. just Alex.

Alex smiles brightly at the way Zack's eyes light up at the music question. He loves talking with other musicians. Every musician has their own quirks and style and he loves finding out exactly what those are.
"Dude, wow that's so cool! Can you play without a pick? I've heard, and seen, some really talented bass guitar players who play with just their fingers and I think it's so cool. I know guitarists can play with just their fingers but I feel like with a guitar, you get more power from a pick and opposite for the bass!"

Alex realizes he's gushing, but who would he be to turn down more friends? Especially musicians?
"Yeah, I know all about Rian's talent. Isn't he just incredible? When we became friends we figured out the other could play music and we jam all the time! You're actually right, we do..."
He trails off, thinking about all they could do together. He sings and plays guitar, Rian plays drums, and Zack plays bass. Maybe they could start a band.
Ooookay Gaskarth, keep it in your pants. Maybe become friends first his brain calls at him, slowing him down.
He also gets stuck on Jack's words. Another guitarist? That's exactly what they'd be missing. But god, Jack? Anyone but Jack.

He turns his attention back to Zack. "I actually do! They're probably not very good, but I write all the time. I have a notebook I carry around with me all the time, inspiration can strike anywhere." He laughs.

"Not very good?" Rian's looking at him incredulously. "Zack, they're incredible. Alex is such a talented songwriter. He's got probably 10 or 15 songs in that notebook. He's been carrying it around since we became friends."
He listens to Rian gush about him, blushing. He darts his eyes quickly in Jack's direction, curious to whether or not he's paying attention.

"I don't use a pick! You got that right. It sounds way better without it." Zack says. "Also I heard that people make fun of bass players who play with picks. Not that I'd care now but younger me did so I forced myself." He laughs a bit. "Songwriting though? I'd love to hear those."

Alex smiles widely when he hears Zack doesn't use a pick.
"You must be so fucking good, dude! I'd love to hear you play sometime, or better yet, play together. Oh my god, people can be so stupid" he adds, laughing.

"Glad you were able to get something good out of it though! I'd love to share my songs, again I'm not sure they're very good but I'd love to get an opinion other than Rian's biased one." He giggles, bumping Rian's shoulder with his own.

Zack looks over at Jack, knowing exactly what's going on in his head. "Jack writes guitar parts all the time. You two should put something together." He says, causing Jack's face to go red.

"Hm yeah. I don't know." Jack says, looking down so nobody can see his cheeks. why the fuck are you blushing. idiot.

"Here look." Zack pulls up his texts with Jack and finds a video of him playing guitar. "He wrote this one himself. I'd say it's pretty damn good." 

"Thanks." Jack mutters, no snarky comments no nothing. He feels his face. still hot. what the fuck.

Alex eyes widen a little when he hears that Jack writes guitar parts. "I've always struggled with putting music to my own lyrics, so it's nice to know that there's someone out there who writes music instead of lyrics." He says softly, looking at Jack again for a few seconds before turning back to Zack.

He watches the video of Jack playing guitar and his heart flutters.
Damn, Jack is good. He's more than just good. He's great. He's such a talented guitarist. Why didn't I know this? Moreso, why do I care?
"Wow Jack, I didn't know you play. More than that, I didn't know you play so well. That was really impressive." He can tell Jack is uncomfortable so he doesn't push, just watches another video Zack pulls up in awe.

Keep this information neutral, Gaskarth. He doesn't like you. It doesn't matter. he thinks, warning himself.
The rest of dinner goes by with more talk of music, their growth as musicians, and their schedules, figuring out when they can all play together. He sneaks a couple looks at Jack but just as quickly looks away.

"Okay, see you later!" He calls, leaving the dining hall with Rian next to him.
Rian looks at him as soon as they step outside. "You okay, Al?"
He nods. "Yeah, I'm okay. I didn't know he was so talented."
Rian agrees cautiously. "Zack told me but I didn't think to mention, didn't think it would come up. Does it matter?"
He waves away the question. "Nah, dude, just an observation. I'll see you tomorrow?"
They hug and part ways, and he makes his way back to the dorm.