Chapter 3

"Alright, man. I appreciate you coming in. I should have that ready in just about two weeks depending on when I get my next batch of lumber," Kane said.

"Great. What about delivery? It's going to the park in Hedgewood and I know it's going to be a two person job. Why don't you give me a call and I will help you."

"I would appreciate that, and let me know when that name plate comes in," the tall, blonde haired man said, flipping through his invoices to add the note that the customer would help with delivery.

Once Reynolds, the customer, left, Kane flipped the sign to his shop closed with a sigh. He had been going at it all day, and had to keep pushing through or he'd get too far behind. He desperately needed an employee.

He shouldn't have taken on this park bench, but it was for a good cause and his business could use the exposure. Kane's marketing skills were definitely lacking.

It wasn't like he had anything to go home to anyway. He ordered some takeout for dinner and locked all the doors before heading to the back to work.

It was a huge space, kept neat and organized and there was plenty of room for his tools and piles of wood and everything else.

His phone buzzed in his pocket and he rolled his eyes, knowing exactly who it was.

"Hey, mom."

"You're still at that damn shop, aren't you? You work too hard. Your father and I are worried."

"I know, I know. You tell me this everyday."

She sighed, "You're alone, Kane. You're thirty years old, and I know it gets to you. Throwing yourself into work isn't going to help."

"I love working," he said.

"Just like your dad." He could practically hear her eye roll and he smiled.

"Besides, mom, it's nearly summer and it's one of my busiest times of year. I don't have time to worry about anything else."

"What about Benji? How's he doing?"

Benjamin was Kane's childhood best friend, but he was a sales rep and was always traveling here or there. They never lost touch, though.

"I talked to him the other night. He was thinking of proposing to that girl he's been seeing."

His mom must have sensed the hidden hurt to his words and she gave a gentle sigh. "Oh, Kane. You'll find your person, and you shouldn't be jealous of your friend."

"I'm not jealous," he mumbled.

"Mmhm, of course not," she said sarcastically. "Come over for dinner tomorrow? I'll make your favorite."

"Of course, mom. I'd love to." He scrubbed his face. "I have to get off of here and get some work done. I love you."

"I love you more. We'll see you tomorrow."

Kane smiled. His mom always sensed his turmoil miles away, always calling at the perfect moment.

---

"You're hair is getting too long," his mom huffed, reaching up on her toes to brush some away. "It's covering your eyes."

"I know. I need a cut," he said, swatting away her hands. "Hey, dad."

His dad looked up and smiled. "You're looking good. How's business?"

Kane sat on the couch with a sigh. "It's good, really steady. You know that big park on Hedgewood? One of the managers over there accepted a donation for a memorial bench from an organization. It should really boost my company."

"Is that right? And you've been building benches for as long as I can remember." His dad switched off the TV and turned towards him, giving him his full attention. "Your mom is worried."

Kane grinned, "She told me it was you that was worried."

His dad rolled his eyes. "I know you're just fine."

"Alright, alright. I can't help it. You're my baby," his mom said, patting his shoulder from behind the couch. "Come on guys, let's eat."

Kane was thankful for his parents. They were his best friends, and he wouldn't be who he was without them. He hated that they worried, and he knew they'd love to see him get married and have lots of kids.

His mom struggled after his birth, unable to conceive even though they dreamed of having lots of kids. It was lonely, he always wanted a sister or brother, but his parents were just as good.

He wanted lots of kids because of that. A whole house full. He couldn't wait to see his parents be grandparents.

Everyone he had ever dated hated his long term goals. No one ever wanted kids. They hated the hours he worked, and they despised his relationship with his parents.

Anyone who didn't like his mom and dad were not worth his time anyway.

He had what he needed, two loving parents, and he tried to convince himself that the rest would come with time.