Chapter 10

While I was out school shopping with Aunt Brenda she brought up the fact that I would be graduating. Senior year just thee years ago felt it would never be here, and now that it was, it was scary.

Wanting to get away from thoughts of the future, I went to the bank and withdrew a large amount from my savings. I was finally going to buy Elvis his gift that I had been dying to get him all summer long.

With my pocketbook full, I made my way to a local jeweler, as soon as I made my way into the front step, the short old man with odd spetacles smiled at me, "Here again, are you actually going to buy something this time?"

He said it in kind of tense tone, but I was ready to shock him, walking straight to the case, I pointed at the gift with a bit of a smug look on my features, "Yes, I want this piece here and will I be able to get that engraved as well?" shuffling with his keys he nodded, "Yes, honey you can, what would you like engraved?"

I shrugged, "Well his first and last name on the front and them my name on the back with I love you on it and the year" The man nodded, "Okay honey it will be done within the hour." I smiled proudly strutting out the door waiting for Aunt Brenda to come and get me!

That night Elvis had taken me out to see a few Gospel triosand artists we were having a wonderful time. I loved wathing Elvis sing Gospel, he loved it and loved God.

He held my hand as we approached the diner and before we stepped inside I stopped him, "Elvis I have something for you." Elvis gently smiled at me, "You do?" I nodded, "Yes, here..."

I handed him a long narrow gift box. Elvis raised a brow at me and opened the box his mouth fell open, "Baby, wow I don't know what to say!" He gently plucked the small fourteen-karat gold ID bracelet from the box.

He read the inscription, "I love you with all my heart, Kristin 1952." I watched as he fumbled with the clasp and I gently helped place it on his wrist, "Wow, I can't believe you got me something so special." He leaned over giving me a kiss on the nose. "I love you Kristin!"

He held me in his arms a long moment just looking into my eyes with those baby blue eyes of his, "Kristin, you're just the best thing to ever walk into my life and I thank God everyday for our love." I blushed nuzzling his chest as we tripped over ourselves walking into the diner together still in each others embrace.

It was the first day of Senior year and I dressed in a pink and black dress that Aunt Brenda had bought me the day before.

After breakfast a knock came at the screen door. Aunt Brenda hollered for Elvis to come in, after placing my plates in the sink I grabbed my books and took Elvis' hand when we were just about to pass the threshold of the house Aunt Brenda called, "Hold up a sec you two, I wanna picture of you both for your first day!"

Elvis blushed fixing his hair and the collar of his shirt, "Sure thing Aunt Brenda..." I rolled my eyes as she gave me a look, "Now c'mon you two buck up and smile." I was holding Elvis' arm in front of the porch.

I then slowly looked up at Elvis as he laughed while Aunt Brenda struggled with the camera. My stomach began to float just watching him, he was my boyfriend... I had a boyfriend!!

Elvis and I walked to the front steps of Humes hand in hand, a sign to all that we were a steady couple. Elvis separated a moment, we had a few minutes befre the bell was going to ring.

I sat on the front steps when I felt someone hug me tightly from behind; I pretended to choke and turned to see Sherrie my only friend. "Kristin, its been such a long time, you barely wrote me this summer!"

I laughed, "I know I'm sorry..." She then whispered, "I saw you walk in with Elvis Presley... what's that all about?" It had been a long time since I wrote Sherrie, "Oh lord Sherrie, it's t best thing ever... me and Elvis are in love!"

I stood trying to control my emotions, "Sherrie this is different and Elvis is different, c'mon I'll introduce you." I took her arm dragging her to where Elvis was. "Elvis, got a second?"

As we stood there awkwardly the bell rang for class. Elvis had a different homeroom and gave me a kiss godbye and waved to Sherrie as he headed inside before us.