Prologue

Trigger warning: Partying/clubs

The city of Amer was the hub of the country. People that lived there were extravagant, rich, beautiful, but most importantly, intelligent. Everyone there wore their silk shoulder-padded blazers at day, their slitted burgundy dress at night, and never wore them again. They went to work made up in calm nudes and eyeliner, then immediately went home to throw on lime green lipstick and emerald glitter. They'd journey to their section's club and dance until the night was disappearing from the sky, when they'd bring a person just as beautiful home.

Despite their seemingly silly behavior, these people were fiercely intelligent. The Sciences could name every element of the periodic table and all its possible isotopes. The Fashions - dressed to the nines in a body suit that grew roses or a slim dress made of composted paper - could tell you the fashion trends in 104 different countries in 1787 GD. The Languages could explain all the extinct languages, why they were extinct, and how to say 'yes, I like cheese' in every one.

And somehow, miraculously, they all managed to get along. Yes, they rivaled each other, but most fights ended up with a kiss goodbye and both parties walking away, skirts swishing as they discovered a new, turquoise cocktail that tastes like vanilla sugar. Besides, the unspoken rule of Amer was that your private life does not interact with your job, so joking rivalry was tucked away until the night, when Amer exploded with colors and clothing.

Now, Amer was separated into sections. The Arts and the Histories and the Literatures all had their own section. Each section was created specifically for their citizens - art galleries, museums, libraries. Each section had a leader, someone who knew that subject like the back of their hand. Annually, Amer recruited more people, from outside the walls of Amer, for their sections. They did so by creating a series of tests. Each section made their own, sending out representatives to quiz each individual citizen that was taking the Tests. Every citizen that wanted into Amer (which happened to be nearly the entire population) had to take the Tests. The representatives reported to the section leader, and the section leader would choose who they thought was the best fit for Amer, and send out the confirmation letters. If you didn't get in, well, you'll never see the glorious parties and lights and people that filled Amer. But if you did get in, then you're welcome to the only home you'll ever want.