Chapter 1: Tests and Anxiety

TW: Small amounts of anxiety, test taking, break ups. 

Edric wanted to be part of Amer. He wanted to be in a place he belonged, in a place where intelligence was actually valued. His wante- no, he needed Amer. Needed it more than anythi- "Breakfast!!!" came the shout from downstairs, interrupting his train of thought.

"Coming, Mother!"

Edric sighed and pulled away from his desk. Papers were scattered around it. Improvisational music therapy, community psychology, transhumanism. Anything he might need on the ATs - the Amer Tests. Empty mugs of tea, long-used tea bags still in them, populated the place as well. He pulled the eagle feather quill from his messy bun, causing it to collapse into itself, long auburn strands framing his face. He placed the feather back in the mug he was using to store his various quills and hurried downstairs.

The rest of Edric's family was already downstairs. His father, Darnel, was studying a map while shoveling eggs into his mouth, eyes never leaving the paper. His gray hair was flying up every which way. His mother, Taylor, smoothed down his curls. "C'mon love, let's put the maps away for once."

She then ushered Edric to his spot at the table and gave him a plate of breakfast. He smiled at her, but quickly reminded her not to stress too much. The instant that Edric had found out he would have three more younger siblings he had dove into research, eventually coming out about a month later with a manuscript that could've rivaled even the strongest pregnancy books. He then explained the entire thing to his mother, and now was trying his best to get her to stop doing things and just relax. His mother, quietly stubborn, had listened but ignored the advice. That didn't stop Edric from constantly reminding her though.

He, at 21, was the oldest child of the six at the table. His only sister, Alicia, was the oldest of all of them, with 24 years under her belt. She, however, was off somewhere, trying to earn money as a carpenter for her wedding. Edric's older brother, Julien, was a navigator for the Royal Seamens, and had been off on an expedition for 2 months. Norrece, Edric's younger twin brother, was complaining about the amount of cheese in the eggs. He had been a fisherman since he dropped out of high school at the age of 16. And because he wasn't in school, he couldn't take the ATs. Not that he wanted to either. Marion was 17 and the next oldest. He was currently adding more cheese to his eggs while staring straight at Norrece. The second-to-youngest, Zion, was 16 and vying to be a merchant. They were reading some mystery novel. The youngest at 14, Kojo, was rolling his eyes at Norrece and Marion's argument.

Edric took his place by Norrece and tried to avoid the flying cheese. His mother yelled from her station at the toaster, "Stop fighting! You're wasting cheese!"

Thankfully, they did, albeit grudgingly. Edric made sure no stray cheese had found its way into his hair before gobbling his food up almost as fast as his father had been a minute ago. After finishing, he brought his dishes to the sink and dashed upstairs to study.

Edric's girlfriend, Kaliyah, vying to join the Athletics, called a couple hours later. He answered, her face popping into view. She looked as if she had just finished training, her long dyed-gray dreadlocks tied loosely back and her face sweaty with exertion. Her lilting voice came out tinny from his tiny phone speakers, "How's your studying going? Still planning on taking half of the tests?"

Edric laughed, "It's going pretty well. And you of all people should know I'm taking 8, not 6." He punctuated his sentence with a roll of his eyes and a flip of his hair.

Kaliyah laughed, a noise he'd never get tired of. "Of course I kn-" her camera jiggled, and he could hear her yelling to someone that she'd come. "Sorry, I have to go. I'll see you later."