Chapter 1

***

"(Y/N)!" Mabel shouted and threw open my door, running inside. "Get up!"

A little annoyed, I rolled my eyes and swallowed the pill in my mouth. "I already was."

I wasn't annoyed with Mabel, of course. Or either of the twins. I was annoyed with Bill. Once again he visited me last night, curious about the twins and some of the other things going on from an insider's perspective. He comes every couple of days, so I should be safe for a while.

He and my Uncle Stan are the only ones who know about my past, and I'd like to keep it that way. But that also makes it so I'm having to either lie or dance around the truth with everyone else, especially the twins.

"I know that. Now come on!"

Since I was already dressed in my normal clothes, I grabbed my pencil off my desk and used it to throw my hair up in a messy bun and toss on my jacket that hides the scar of my soulmate's name on my wrist. Everyone got them at 18, so I got mine only a few years after Bill changed me, but I hated looking at mine.

The moment I finished she grabbed my wrist and pulled me into the gift shop, where without thinking I got started in restocking the shelves.

Not long after I heard the bell chime and a tall red-haired girl came in. "Hey, Wendy."

"Sup guys."

The twins said hello in perfect unison, creeping me out. I wasn't used to it, to say the least. It was almost opening, and I still had a few things left to do, but Uncle Stan wasn't done with the signs so I still had to wait.

***

A couple hours after opening I was watching Mabel hide behind a display as she looked eagerly at a boy. He was reading a note she left him.

"He's looking at it! He's looking at it!"

"Do you like me?" he reads aloud. "Yes? Definitely? Absolutely?"

"I rigged it!" Mabel tells me with glee.

"Mabel," Dipper begins. "I know you're going through your while "boy crazy" phase, but I think you're kind of overdoing it with the "crazy" part."

"Dipper has a point, Mabel. You are going kinda crazy. And what's the chance any of the boys in Gravity Falls are your soulmate?"

"What?" Mabel asks, blowing a raspberry at her brother and I. "Come on, guys! This is our first summer away from home. It's my big chance to have an epic summer romance. Just because they aren't my soulmate doesn't mean I can't date them."

"Yeah, but do you need to flirt with every guy you meet?"

"Mock all you want, but I got a good feeling about this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if the man of my dreams walked through that door right now."

She pointed behind her and Uncle Stan walked in holding a Pitt Cola and a few signs. He let out a loud burp and groaned in pain.

"Oh, why?" Mabel shouts in disgust. Dipper and I both laugh.

"All right, look alive, people," Uncle Stan called. "I need two people to go hammer up these signs in the spooky part of the forest."

I shrugged, fine with going. I knew how to handle myself in these woods.

"Not it!" the twins shouted in unison.

"Uh, also not it," Soos said a second later.

"Nobody asked you Soos."

"I know, and I'm comfortable with that."

"Wendy! I need you to help (Y/N) put up these signs!"

The four of us looked over at Wendy to see her reading a magazine at the register with her feet propped up.