Chapter 8

***

Wendy, Soos, Dipper, and I were hanging out in the gift shop when Stan barged in, wearing his usual tank top and blue boxers.

"Hey! Hey! What the Jekll is Mabel doing in the paper next to that greasy pickpocket, Gideon?"

"Oh, yeah, it's like a big thing nowadays," Wendy told him. "Everybody's talking about their big date tonight."

"What?! That little shyster is dating my great-niece?!"

"I wonder what the new name will be for the power couple," Soos asked. "Mab-ideon? Gid-ablel? Ma-gid-bel-eon!"

Uncle Stan crumpled the newspaper and stormed out of the room, furious.

"I didn't know!" Dipper shouts. "I didn't hear about it! And plus, I told her not to!"

Stan comes back, now wearing his usual suit paired with the 8-ball cane. "Yeah, well it ends tonight! I'm going right down to that little skunk's house! This is going to stop right now!"

He slammed the door behind him.

"Dude, wouldn't it be funny if he exited through the closet door, and he had to come back and use the real door?" Soos asked randomly.

The three of us give each other confused looks before Soos goes over to the door and opens it.

"Nope. Real door."

***

Mabel walked into the living room sadly, which was very unusual for her. She was holding the lobster from her date, which was still alive.

Dipper and I were looking over the journal more, and I was looking more at the notes my father- or Bill when possessing him -had scrawled in the margins than the actual research.

"Hey!" Dipper called. "How'd it go?"

"I don;t know," she said, climbing a chair to put the lobster in the fish tank. "I have a lobster now."

"Well, at least it's over now and you won't even have to go out with him again!" Dipper said and I nodded in agreement.

"Mabel?" I asked cautiously. "It's over, right? Mabel?"

She turned around, waving her arms in frustration. "Blarg! He asked me out again and I didn't know how to say no!"

"Like this," said Dipper, pointing to his lips. "No."

"It's not that easy, Dipper!" Mabel cried. "And I do like Gideon, as a friend/little sister. Besides, he was so nice to me before. So I didn't want to hurt his feelings."

She sat in the chair on the other side of Dipper, leaving the one between us empty. "I just need to get things back to where they used to be... You know, friends."

***

Dipper and I walked down the stairs, hearing someone talk from inside the living room.

"He's so nice, but I can't keep doing this!" Mabel ranted to herself. "Aah! I have no way out!"

"What in the heck happened on that date?" Dipper asked as he walked in, not bothering with being soft.

"I don't know!" Mabel shouted, growing more stressed by the minute. "I was in the friend zone, and then before I knew what was happening, he pulled me into the romance zone! It was like quicksand!" She grabbed Dipper and I. "Chubby quicksand!"

"Mabel, come on," I began. "It's not like you're going to have to marry him."

Stan entered the room wearing a shirt that said "TEAM GIDEON" on the front. "Great news, Mabel, you have to marry Gideon!"