Chapter 11

***

The summer rain pounded outside, the sound filling the attic as Dipper and Mabel sat on the floor. The two played Conflict Boat, while I sat against the wall under the triangle window. Buckets and cups were spread across the room, catching the water that slipped through the leaks in the roof.

"I'm gonna say, B-five," Dipper tells Mabel.

"Miss!" She puts the last red peg in her board, finishing her outline of a cat's face.

"I don't think you're playing this right."

"She's not," I tell him, looking up from my book.

"Kids!" Stan shouts from the living room. "Come quick!"

The three of us race downstairs, stopping when we find him sitting in his chair with his arm out toward the tv. "I need you to laugh at this with me!"

"Who's as cute as a button, and always your friend?" Gideon sings as he plays his guitar. "Li'l G-i-d to the e-o-n! Wink!"

"Li'l Gideon. Child psychic."

I make a gagging noise, earning a proud smile from Stan.

"I have taught you well."

"Remember when I wouldn't date him and he tried to destroy us?" Mabel asks.

Uncle Stan nods. "He's always trying to trick me into losing the Mystery Shack!"

Wendy leans on the back of the chair beside him. "One time, I caught him trying to seal my moisturizer."

I look at her, confused. "Have you guys even met yet?"

She shivers. "No. That's the worst part."

"And yet," Soos begins, "our mutual hatred for him bonds us together."

"Come on down to Li'l Gideon's Tent of Telepathy. Soon opening at this location."

An image of Gideon's tent crushing the Mystery Shack appears on screen.

Dipper looks at Uncle Stan and I. "Uh, should we be worried about that?"

Stan waves him off. "Please. The only way Gideon's taking over this shack is by breaking in and stealing my deed."

Our eyes go wide as we all hear breaking glass.

"You mean like right now?" Wendy asks.

"Yep."

***

"Gideon!" Uncle Stan shouts as he opens the door.

The boy slowly turns around, hiding his hands behind his back. "Well, well, Stanford! My arch Nemesis."

I cross my arms. "Dude. Just go home."

"Well hello, (Y/N). The three of us seem to have entered a dangerous game of cat and mouse. But the question remains, who is the cat, and who is the-"

Stan cuts him off. "Soos, broom."

Soos hands it to him, and he walks forward.

"Oh, no, not the broom!" Gideon runs to the other side of the room, circling Stan. He hisses, and Uncle Stan just hits him in the face a few times.

The boy runs past us and out the front door into the rain.

"You mark my words, Stanford! One day I'm gonna get that combination! And once I steal that deed you'll never see the Mystery Shack again!"

"Good luck, bucko!"

Stan steps back inside and shuts the door behind him.

***