Chapter 9

***

Feeling like absolute s**t, I walked into the party room after pulling yet another all nighter in the lab. Looking around I saw Soos carrying a box of decorations and a stool across the room. There was a small green hat on the horn of the rhino that was next to the mini-stage set up for Soos to DJ. Speakers and his keyboard completed the corner, and the string lights drew my attention to the twins on the couch.

"Oh, no, Mabel. I- I don't feel so good," Dipper says, trying to keep a straight face.

He pulls a can from behind his back and covers Mabel in bright pink sticky string, pretending to throw it up.

"Ohh!" she groans. "Grunkle Stan, what did you feed us?"

She does the same to Dipper that he did to her, except hers is a deep purple. Soon the two are practically dying of laughter on the couch as they spray each other.

"Guys, stop!" Wendy shouts, walking over to the pair. "Something terrible just happened!"

The two freeze, believing her. I smirk, seeing the can behind her back.

She pretends to retch, spraying both with a neon green. Quickly they switched to the confetti poppers that Stan had bought, and turned them on each other with him in the middle.

"All right, party supplies are now off-limits." He grabs everything from their hands, throwing them in an empty box and shoving that box into my arms.

Mabel comes over to me, just as energetic as always.

"Where were you?" she asks, leaning close.

"Asleep," I answer, rubbing my eyes with my free hand.

She raises an eyebrow. "You didn't answer when I knocked on your door."

Um...

"I was pretty much dead to the world," I lied. "Sorry I didn't answer."

Mabel narrows her eyes for a moment before accepting the answer. "There's coffee in the kitchen. And Mabel Juice."

"Thanks," I say. "I need it."

"Mr. Pines, whose birthday is it again?" Soos asks, trying one end of a string of colorful triangles to a pillar.

"Nobody's," Stan tells him before I could answer. "I just thought this would be a good way to get kids to spend money at the shack. The young people of this town want fun, I'll smother 'em with fun."

"Maybe comments like that are why kids don't come to the Mystery Shack," Dipper comments as he pours himself a cup of Diet Pitt.

I shrug, not wanting to argue with Stan as I walked back out of the room. Everything in here was garbage, so I was taking it to the dumpster in the back.

"Oh, God, that smells," I mutter in disgust as I lift the lid.

It was garbage that's been in a giant metal container in the heat. What did I expect?

As quickly as I could, I tossed the box in and shut the lid, nearly throwing up when a wave of air rushes toward me.

"If Stan has more stuff to throw away he can do it himself. Or at least ask next time."

***

"All right, party people, and Dipper and (Y/N)," Stan began, looking down at his clipboard.

"Fair," I say as Dipper frowned.

"Let's talk business. Soos, because you'll work for free, and you begged, I'm letting you be DJ."

"You won't regret it, Mr. Pines. I got this book that teached me how to DJ r-r-r-right."