Chapter 5

My watch beeped loudly, it was 14:50. Just 10 minutes left till the birthday fun was to start. I have been preparing the party room that Sundrop had showed me for the past half an hour. I was nervous, even though all I had to do was hang up balloons and colorful happy birthday signs. Finally, I stepped away to judge my work. The room had a long table in the middle - now decorated with over 30 paper plates, cups, colorful napkins and party hats. One corner of the room had a small round stage with a red curtain behind it. A small play structure took over the rest of the room. "Small" in comparison to the rest of the Daycare. I was sure that over 20 kids could hide inside it without being seen.

Sundrop entered the room to check up on me.

"What do you think?" I asked nervously, turning to face him. He stood on the spot for a while, looking around, clearly examining if everything was up to standard.

"It looks great Y/N!" he cheered, looking at me while tilting his head playfully.

"Phew" I sighed in relief. "Thank you Sundrop." Even though I couldn't quite understand it, his presence and words felt so soothing and comforting. Even though his voice got loud and squealy at times, it still felt like a warm comfortable blanket wrapping around me.

"Where will you face paint?" his question brought me back to reality. He hunched over, trying to see my face better.

"Oh - Oh my god! I almost forgot!!" I gasped, facepalming in embarrassment. "The tool box is still in the office, I will go and grab it quickly."

"Alrightyy!" his voice echoed as I ran out of the room. I sprinted through the staff corridors, almost tripping over an open box full of plush toys somebody left conveniently in the middle of the hall right behind a corner.

I opened the office door and a loud bang rang through the hall as the handle hit the wall.

"Damn it!"

The noise disturbed the perfect silence of the dimmed room, filled only with a low humming noise. However I had no time, or intention to pay attention to that. I scrambled together all the supplies I could find and thought I would need, my thoughts racing inside my head.

When I returned to the party room Sundrop was waiting for me. He wore a yellow party hat with red stripes which made him look even more silly than he already was.

"Right on time Y/N!" He cheered, pointing to a small desk with two chairs he set up for me on the side of the room.

"Thank you Sundrop, you really saved me this time!" I dropped my things on the desk, trying to arrange them to look at least a little presentable.

Then I felt his arm wrap around my chest. I gasped in surprise.

"S-Sunny?!" I tried to push his arm away, I felt his oddly warm torso on my back, yet again reminding me of how small and weak I truly was in comparison to him.

"Don't move Sunbeam." he hummed in my ear with that weird tone again, sending shivers throughout my entire body. My cheeks were burning, my heart racing in anticipation. I felt like a bunny trapped in the claws of a fox. Why was he acting so weird? What did he want to do? I gulped when I felt his other hand placing something on my head. He then pulled a thin string over my face and under my chin.

"Here you go! Now it's perfect!" he let go of me, swaying his head around cheerfully.

I turned around to face him again, taking a few steps back. I reached for the top of my head, still too stunned.

It was a party hat. I sighed loudly, catching my breath after realizing I have been holding it for a while now.

"Sundrop!" I snapped in frustration.

"Sunshine?" He replied, hunching forward again to be on my eye level.

"You- you could have just told me to wear it! God - you really weird me out sometimes!" I looked down still frustrated.

"Just... stop grabbing me randomly alright? Maybe kids like it, but I am an adult!" I crossed my arms, looking up at him again. He seemed surprised at my words.

"Oh" he finally said. His face puzzled as if he really didn't know what the issue was.

"Gosh, whatever" I said when I saw that me trying to scold him was pointless. Maybe I should just report this to parts and service after my shift... but maybe this was the way he was supposed to act and I was just overthinking it.

"Oh! here come the new friends!" He jumped up, dashing to hide behind the curtain on the stage.

I rubbed my eyes for a second, composing myself as one of the helper bots lead in a group of squealing children.

"Hello" I greeted them as enthusiastically as I could. Some of them said hello back, but they were clearly taken away by their surroundings. I didn't mind at all, at least I could finish setting up my face painting station.

The helper bot gestured for the kids to stand in front of the small stage. When everyone was there, excited giggles and whispers filling the air Sundrop jumped from behind the curtain.

"Hellooo friends!!!" he threw open his arms, scattering confetti and glitter around. The kids squealing in pure excitement.

The birthday party went well. I found out that being around the children, face painting or cheering them on as they played, was more natural for me than I expected. Still, I was glad Sundrop was the star of the show. There was cake and presents and games and of course, face painting. Mostly I got requests for rainbows, glitter and cats, but some kids wanted me to paint some of the Pizza plex characters on their faces. Like Freddy or Roxanne. That was a challenge, but I managed. Glitter always fixed all the problems.

When the birthday party ended it was already 6 pm and closing time. Me and Sundrop waved goodbye to everyone at the Daycare door and when the last kid left and Sundrop closed the door I leaned on the wall in relief.

"Finally" I mumbled, tired out of my mind.

"That was SO much fun!" Sun chimed, locking the door to make sure no late and confused guests would try to get back in as the Pizza plex itself would close down an hour after the Daycare.

"Yeah " I smiled. He was right, this was definitely much more fun than all the other poorly paying jobs I had. I let go off the wall, my head spinning uncomfortably. I put the palm of my hand on my forehead, trying to difuse this sick feeling overwhelming my body. I felt so weak, maybe it was because I slept so poorly during the past few weeks.

"I don't feel very good " I mumbled again. "I'm going to go to the office now." I said, but before I could reach the staff door I felt my legs give out and my vision blacked out as I collapsed to the floor.