five | home again

-FIVE-

The sun hadn't risen yet, but its rays peeked over the horizon, sending bands of red, orange and pink around the landscape of the little town. Venus glinted in the sky next to the first quarter moon, and the entire town was cloaked in silence. 

Silence was something Ophelia enjoyed. She felt it helped trap her worries in an inescapable prison, to which only she had the key. She felt herself being tapped on her shoulder as she finished packing whatever else she needed. 

Kate stood behind her, a small smile on her face as she said, "You ready, doll?" 

"As ready as I'll ever be, darling." Smiled the huntress in reassurance. 

"Mummy, where are we going?" Asked Avyanna sleepily, trudging into her parents' room, Cadmus following close behind. Ophelia lifted the tired girl in her arms and grinned, "We're going to Mummy's home today." 

"You're silly, Mummy. This is your home!" Exclaimed Cadmus, gesturing around at the house. Kate grinned at her wife's baffled face, and chuckled, "What Mummy means to say is that we're going to the place where she was born, honey." 

"So, we're going to portal there, considering that's the safest option." Admitted the huntress. She flicked her wrist, opening the rushing silver portal. Everyone's hair flitted about with the wind generated, and Ophelia made sure everyone was together before saying, "Right-o, now Cade, Vinna, listen closely. You both must hold my hand as tightly as you possibly can, alright?" The pair grinned and chorused, "Alright, mummy!" The huntress smiled and felt the pair slip their tiny hands through her slightly larger ones, squeezing tightly.

"You both must close your eyes when I tell you to, okay?" She warned. Both Cadmus and Avyanna nodded, grins spreading over their features. Despite the pair of them having most of Ophelia's genes, their smiles were exact replicas of Kate's. How she wished to draw them then and there...

She snapped out of her artistic thoughts, and said, "Good. On three, all of us will step inside the portal. Ready?" She took a quick glance at her wife, who was clutching Lucky's leash for dear life. "Yeah." Nodded the younger woman, her tone an octave higher than usual with nervousness.

"Right-o. One...two...three." At the last count, the five of them stepped into the portal.

Different currents of air rushed past them in every direction, nearly throwing Kate off balance. Like before, different terrains sped under their feet, changing from towering mountains to small rolling hills, from crowded cities to deserted countrysides. As they neared their destination, the rushing air suddenly stopped, causing Kate's ears to buzz with the sudden halt of noise. She felt her feet touch down on something. From the way it crunched under her feet and made her feel like she was sinking, the archer realised she was standing on a snowy hill.

"That was AMAZING!" Squealed Avyanna, letting go of Ophelia's hand, only to stumble and almost fall to the ground. Being the responsible twin brother, Cadmus grabbed his sister's arm before she could hit the uncommonly soft ground, steadying her. "Wait for a few minutes before moving, loves." Chuckled the huntress as the portal disappeared.

As the cocoon of silver vanished, the archer felt her jaw drop in sheer awe of the landscape which stretched before her.

"Woah..." Gasped Cadmus, his brown eyes wide with astonishment.