00: Prologue

"Where are we going?" I laugh, holding my arms out in front of me. I heard Malcolm laugh beside me - he too was being led blindfolded to an undisclosed location. "We're almost there," was all my mom replied. I could practically hear the smile in her voice. Malcolm bumped my arm and we both giggled, pushing each other as we continued to walk blindly. Then, the blindfold is snatched from my eyes and the bright light of day causes me to squint. "Happy birthday, Teagan and Malcolm," I heard shouted from multiple voices.

When my vision finally came back to me I could see the crowd of familiar faces of friends and family. Our entire backyard had been transformed. There were balloons and pretty fairy lights along our fence, three easels and large canvases with paint buckets, and a DJ booth. Malcolm and I share an excited look then race to the gift table. Wow! The gifts were piled high along two white tables, one for each of us. On a nearby table were snacks galore, chocolate cupcakes, chocolate chip cookies, bags of chips and bowls of candy and punch; a three layered strawberry-vanilla swirl cake as the centerpiece with a picture of Malcolm and I when we were younger decorated into the center.

I ran back to my mom and hugged her tight. "Thank you, thank you! I love it." Malcolm was behind me, grinning from ear to ear. "Thank you, Mrs. Moore." She lowered to his height and placed a chaste kiss on his cheek. I smiled.

"Go on, enjoy yourselves." I thanked my mom again before chasing after Malcolm and all our friends from school. Our birthdays weren't on the same day - Malcolm's was two days before mine - but since the day we've met, we've been close, so it just makes sense.

The day was full of smiles, laughter, and fun. And as the sun was starting to set, we gathered around the snack table and our guests sang happy birthday. "This is always so awkward," I whisper to Malcolm.

"I know," he whispered back, smiling. "Happy birthday, T."

I smiled at the nickname, my ears feeling hot. "Happy birthday to you, too." We leaned forward blowing out the candles together and everyone cheered. I let him cut the cake and we shared the first slice sitting by the pool, our toes in the water. "Mmm," I moan in delight, "I love strawberry cake."

"Chocolate's better," Malcolm said, taking another big bite, "but this one isn't too bad." I giggled, nudging him with my elbow. I licked the icing off my fork before taking another piece of cake. Today was a good day, I thought to myself, unconsciously resting my head on Malcolm's shoulder. I felt his body tense slightly before relaxing. We sat like that for a long while before Malcolm spoke up again, his voice barely above a whisper.

"I'm so glad to have you as my best friend," he said. Me too, I thought, me too. I don't know what I'd do without you.

***

"The stars look so beautiful tonight," I say in a whisper. The grass was soft and ticklish against my skin. The party had ended hours ago and everyone had gone. Malcolm and I laid alone in the backyard, arms folded behind our heads as we looked up at the stars. I heard the soft chirping of the crickets hidden somewhere in the grass not far away. Then movement beside me.

Malcolm was now laying on his side staring at me. I turned to face him, smiling. Malcolm had the prettiest, big brown eyes and long eyelashes; his short, wide nose centered cutely on his face. He was just staring at me, smiling. I could feel my face heating up under his gaze and opened my mouth to speak, but before I could utter anything he spoke. "I love you, Teagan."

I couldn't speak. I couldn't move. All I could do was stare wide eyed at him, my heart beating against my ribcage. The heat I felt in my face I could now feel down my neck and on my ears. "Mal-"

"You don't have to say it back," he interrupted. "I just needed you to know." I watched him sit up, pulling at his ear. "I have something for you." I sat up.

He reached into his jean pocket for the item, keeping it hidden from me in his balled fist. He seemed nervous. I licked my dry lips, placing my hand over his fist. He exhaled through his nose amused, slowly unfisting his hand. In his palm sat a small ring. I picked it up with my index finger and thumb, eyeing the beautiful piece of jewelry. The ring was rose-gold in color, and the center stone was a green gem. "It's an emerald," he told me, "our birthstone."

"It's beautiful."

He took the ring out of my hand and slid it on my ring finger, "It's a promise ring." I watched as he reached into his other pocket, pulling out a similar looking ring and placed it on his own ring finger. "You are my best friend, my everything. I promise to always be with you." I hadn't noticed the tear that fell from my eye until he wiped it away with the pad of his thumb. With his hand still on my cheek, he brought me closer to him. I then felt his lips on mine, my eyes fluttering shut.

***

A week later he was gone. No text, no call - nothing.

I stared down at the ring on my finger and my vision went blurry. I couldn't stop the tears from falling. "S-stupid," I said to myself, biting my bottom lip to keep it from quivering.