01: Day 1

15 years later

I crave excitement.

I sit slouched over my desk, my left palm under my chin as I sketch on my sketchpad. The day has just begun, but the boredom has already kicked in. Everyday is the same as the last. I wake up at the butt crack of dawn, trudge sleepily down the dark hall and wake up my niece for school. "Five more minutes," she always groans, pulling the comforter up to her chin and turning away from me. "Up. Now," I mumble, snatching the comforter off. She groans louder as I pull open the curtains.

From her bedroom I've managed to descend the stairs and make breakfast, all without fully opening my eyes or burning down the kitchen. Today it's scrambled eggs and toast, tomorrow it'll be the same. And the day after that, and the day after that, and the day after that... you get it. After breakfast, a trip to the high school, then back home in bed. I sleep until a quarter to noon, then it's time for lunch. I make a sketch or two, stare at it a bit too long then trash it.

A quarter after two I'm back at the high school and Morgan greets me with a warm smile. We switch seats - me now in the passenger - and I brace myself for the nerve wracking drive home. "How'd I do today?" She'll ask me with wide, hopefully eyes.

"Better," I'll tell her, smiling, my heart still racing. The rest of the day always seems to drag by. I'll stare blankly at the television screen, flipping through the channels. There's never anything good airing and inevitably switch it off. I might sketch, maybe nap, but then dinner rolls around and I'm slaving away in the kitchen preparing a mediocre meal. In bed by nine-thirty p.m., actually asleep by 2 a.m. in the morning.

Repeat.

I stand from my desk with a loud groan, kicking the crumbled pieces of paper across the room. "I am so bored," I shout, running my hands down my tired face. What the hell happened? I used to be cool, fun. I had friends - an actual social life - I was going out and enjoying life. When did it all go south?

I fiddle unconsciously with the ring on my finger, and unwelcome memories of him flood my mind. I can feel my chest tighten. Why do I even still have this stupid thing; worse, why do I still wear it? I'm surprised it still fits at all. I stare at the green gem, excuse me, the emerald, he told me it was and can't stop the smile that forms on my lips. I sigh. All these years later and I still think about him, how pathetic. But how could I not? One minute we're inseparable, laughing and joking without a care in the world, then the next, I don't even know...

I sniffled, blinking back the tears and clearing my throat. Head held high I marched into the kitchen. "I need juice." Opening the cupboard, I grab a glass, placing it on the counter before opening the fridge. Milk, maybe a sip left of orange juice... an assortment of condiments. I shut the fridge annoyed, grabbing the glass and filling it with water from the tap, "I guess I'll have to go shopping." I drink the refreshing liquid and place the glass face down in the sink, then grabbing my phone from my pocket I send Morgan a quick text:

Going to the store, take the bus

She replies shortly after with a thumbs up. I type a quick list in the notes of my phone before heading out, the sun warm on my skin.

***

"Mmm..." I hum, searching the freezer for those stupid cheese Hot Pockets that Morgan loves so much, but they aren't there. I've never seen her eat the pepperoni or ham and cheese ones, and that girl is such a picky eater. I groan, giving the freezer one last search before abandoning ship. "Tough titties," I mumble under my breath, pushing my cart down the aisle. It's always so cold in the frozen food section, obviously, but I idiotically wore short sleeves and no jacket. I rub the goosebumps off my arms, my cart moving on its own into another shopper's. "Oh! So sorry, I-"

"Teagan?" I know that voice. I freeze, my heart beating quickly behind my ribcage. It couldn't be - no, but it was. The boy from my childhood stood before me, smiling sheepishly and pulling at his pierced ear. "H-hey, it's been awhile."