04: Late Night

The night was young, and the weather was warm; so after dinner, Malcolm and I decided to take a walk around downtown. Neither of us ready to say goodnight for the night.

I pull at the ends of my cardigan as I walk closely and comfortably to Malcolm's right. I was closest to the street before, but he insisted I walk on the inside of the sidewalk. "Some people are assholes." He told me, and I laughed, choosing not to put up a fight. It was sweet that he still cared for me. He used to do the same thing when we were younger. Back then, though, I would always fight back. "You're not the boss of me!" I used to retort.

I smile at the memory and Malcolm asks, "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing, just how bratty I used to be." I chuckle, shaking my head.

"Oh, gosh. So bratty." He laughed. I nudged him with my elbow. "Hey!"

He smiled down at me. "No, but - it was cute." I look up at him and he winks. I blush, shoving him and he stumbles off the curb. We share a laugh.

We make a right at the corner and follow the sidewalk all the way down until we reach the docks. I pull my cardigan close, hoping it would provide me a bit more warmth. It is always colder by the water. Malcolm notices and slides off his jacket. I shake my head, sticking my hand out to suggest I'm okay. He places his jacket around my shoulders anyway and I give him an appreciative smile. "Thanks."
He answers with a nod.

I walk ahead, plopping down on one of the wooden benches that face the water. I watch the gentle bob of the boats docked at the pier, and listen to the lull of the waves. "I always loved coming here," I say, turning my head to face Malcolm who hadn't sat yet. He nods.

"I know. You would always sit at the end of the pier, your little legs dangling over the edge, with such a relaxed composure... I had to always resist the urge to scare you and make you fall in." He chuckled and I rolled my eyes amused.

"Sounds about right." I pat the spot next to me, and he obliges, taking a seat. All is quiet and I feel hyper aware of my body. Specifically, by how warm I feel sitting next to him and how quickly my heart has been racing this whole time. I want to ask him about everything. How he's been. Where he's been. Why he left and why he came back. Everything. But I can't seem to find the words. My mouth refused to open.

Malcolm broke the silence. "Teagan..." his voice was unsteady, as if he'd burst into tears at any moment. I pull him into a hug and he holds me tight, like he was scared to let me go - or so I told myself. I can feel the emotion bubbling in my chest. I blink back tears and exhale a sigh. "It's okay," I managed in the steadiest voice I could muster.

"I'm so sorry, Teagan." His voice is soft and shaky, and his grip tightens around me. I can tell he's crying. A single tear rolls down my cheek and I quickly wipe it away.

"Shh. It's okay."

After Malcolm had calmed down, we returned to his car. The wind had started to pick up and it was just too cold. Malcolm had given me his jacket, so he had no real protection against the chill. I didn't want him to catch a cold.

Malcolm's car had a push-to-start engine. He pushed the button and turned on both the heat and the seat warmers for us. The radio was low, Tevin Campbell "Can We Talk" was playing. We sat in silence listening to the song, nodding our heads to the rhythm, until it ended. Shai "If I Ever Fall In Love" played next. I laughed. "Who hurt you?"

He laughed, shaking his head. "Hey, don't hate. Good music is good music."

I raise my hands up in mock defense. "Alright, alright."

The mood was starting to feel less tense, but I could tell Malcolm was still bothered by something. I shouldn't pry. He will tell me when he's ready; he always does. I eyed the clock on his dash. Eleven-fourteen.

"I should be heading home soon." I say quietly. He nods.
Malcolm opens his mouth as if he's going to speak but closes it. He suddenly smiles, turning to face me fully. "This may not be inappropriate, a bit childish, I don't know, but..." he pulls at his ear, "I don't want you to go."

My heart is racing. "Malcolm..."

"I'm afraid," he pauses, licking his lips. "I'm afraid I'll leave again and I'll... I'll-" He sniffles, biting his lip and shaking his head. "Stupid, I know."

"No! No. Not at all. I- I get it." I blink back tears and offer him a smile. My heart felt as if it were going to explode from racing so quickly; my body feeling hot all over. He missed me, all these years, seemingly as much as I missed him, and that fact alone was enough to make me bawl like a baby. I kept my composure, though, as best I could. That's all I needed to know for now. Whatever else he wanted to tell me, it could wait. I won't pry.

Then suddenly, "are you still interested in poetry?"

I hesitate before answering, taken aback. "Yeah, I- yes."

"There's an open mic night happening next Wednesday at the Poetic Bean. It's a poetry venue about thirty minutes outside the city, and they have all sorts of events. I'd like to take you - if you're interested, of course." He's smiling, a glimmer of hope in his eyes. I don't believe I have anything to do next Wednesday. This should be good, fun even.

"Sure, why not? I'll go."

"Yes!" he cheers under his breath and I laugh. "Okay! I'm excited."

"I can see that." I comment, the smile never leaving my lips. This felt almost too good to be true, but I refused to sully the moment by considering the worse. He is here. He wants to see me, to take me places. And I'm happy. "I'm excited for it, too." I admit, smiling impossibly wider.

He pulls me into a hug over the center console and we chat a little longer before saying goodnight. I reluctantly leave his car and rush toward my own, turning on the engine and the heat. "Whew," I breathed out, waiting for the car to warm up. I can see Malcolm in my rearview mirror, no doubt waiting for me to pull off before he leaves himself. When my teeth stop chattering, I switch on my headlights and back out of the parking space. I honk my horn, he honks his, and I drive off.

———
A/N: if you've never heard "Can We Talk" or "If I Ever Fall In Love", go and YouTube it! especially if you like R&B; they're such amazing songs.