Chapter 6

Newt woke up in an all white room. He looked around to see no absolute color. Just white. Well, besides his natural skin and hair color of course. He got up and scanned the room, finding a square window on one of the walls. He ran up to it and looked out seeing a wall. He saw a flash of brown hair fly by then it came back. He soon came face to face with Aris. He was yelling something but Newt couldn't hear him. Aris signaled the number one and he ran out of sight. Newt sighed and examined the room more closely and realized there was a slight shadow coming from the wall. He went up to it and as he touched it the wall opened revealing Minho, Aris, and Harriet. He was pulled out and they all started running.

"What the-" he was cut off by a yelling noise. Cranks. He started running as fast as he could but they were right behind them.

"We will explain later!" Harriet yelled. They kept running through the halls. Newt kept wondering how they knew the ins and outs of the place.

"Hey, guys, wait for us!" Newt saw a group of other kids running from the corner and leading those kids was Thomas. Newt smiled and started running faster. They started to catch up and when he and Thomas were running side by side Thomas grabbed his hand.

They came up to a door, Newt noticed Aris and a few other kids were missing. Thomas came through and held a badge up. He swiped a few times but it didn't work. They could hear the Crank's screeching and yelling. Thomas gave Minho the badge, and came around to the back of the group and held up a gun Newt didn't even know he had. Thomas started firing, he was getting closer to them slowly picking them off one by one.

He saw figures on the other side of the door coming to realize that it was Aris, Harriet, Sonya, Fry, and Winston. They opened the door from the other side. Everyone was trying to rush. They were all yelling for Thomas to come. Once everyone was behind the door, it slowly started to close.

"Thomas! Come on " Newt yelled, grabbing his attention.

The door was almost to the ground but Thomas dove legs going first and slid under the door. They all watched as the Cranks went to the door and started banging on it.

Newt picked Thomas up and yelled "You are crazy!"

Thomas gave him a smile and replied, "Yeah but you still love me for it. Now come on, let's go catch up to the others."

"Okay, it is time someone explained to me what the hell is going on." Newt said after a few minutes of walking down an empty corridor.

Everyone stopped to look at him and when no one responded he started to get mad. Before he could start yelling Sonya came over and started to explain that while he and alby were in the simulation W.C.K.D took them all and tested their group for over a week.

"A WEEK?!" Newt screamed, "I HAVE BEEN OUT FOR A WEEK?!

"Two months actually." Harriet spoke.

"Come on, we have to keep going." Minho came running to the group, "W.C.K.D. soldiers are coming, we gotta go!"

They all followed Minho, Newt counting at least twenty kids. Newt recognised all of them as groups A and B but saw that a lot of them were still missing, mainly known as his former best friend Alby and Thomas' little brother Chuck.

They came to a door about 10 feet tall and had black and yellow lines on the door saying in big red letters "CAUTION ". Teresa ran back over and she gave Thomas a head nod. Thomas turned to Newt with a sad look on his face saying he would explain everything once they escaped.

The doors opened and everyone started to run out. The outside did not look like what Newt had remembered it looked like, there was grass all around them. Newt couldn't believe his eyes, he has one memory of seeing grass but that was over 18 years ago and it was very hazy. Newt looked at the faces of the group and saw the same face he had on.

Minho yelled, "Come on guys, we still have to keep running."

Newt turned back to look at the doors, his smile on his face faded when he saw over a dozen W.C.K.D guards making their way to the, now, closing doors. All twenty-eight kids started running, making a big clump with everyone behind Newt, Thomas, and Minho in the very front. Newt Grabbed Thomas' free hand and pulled him along with the group.

When they got a safe distance of about five miles they stopped coming to the edge of a forest. Everyone quickly entered trying to get out of the open grass field. One they got about another mile they decided to make camp. A few went to go scavenger for fruits, some started to make weapons out of the tree branches while others started to make a fire. Minho started passing out sleeping bags. Newt didn't know where he got them from but he didn't pay much attention.

"There are only a few left so the two of you will have to share one." Minho said, holding out one of the largest sleeping bags. Newt took it with a smile and set it down on the ground next to the boys' feet.

Newt turned to Thomas and noticed that Thomas was crying so he pulled him in for a hug. "Tommy, what's the matter?"

"Chuck, he died trying to help wake you up." Thomas replied.

Newt felt his stomach drop. He didn't know what to feel. He was sad, angry, relieved, and sick that Chuck gave his life for Newt. He's mad at Thomas for letting Chuck save his life instead of the thirteen year old himself.

When he doesn't respond Thomas breaks down into a hysterical sob. They slowly start to move down to the ground. Minho and Teresa notice and run towards them in confusion. Newt said nothing to them and rocked Thomas back and forth. Eventually the crying had stopped but turned into small, soft hiccups.

"Hey, why don't we set up our sleeping bag and take a nap? Yeah?" Newt said with his thick accent. Thomas only nodded in agreement. Newt sighed, "Alright, come on, stand up for me, eh?"

Thomas did so without saying a word. Teresa and Minho only sat there and watched the couple lay out their bag and laid down. Teresa pulled Minho away from the scene, mumbling something to the two boys in the sleeping bag about how she and Minho need to "talk".

Thomas laid his head against Newt's chest. The two boys just laid there, Newt rubbing Thomas' back. Soon Thomas fell asleep. Newt sighed in relief and started to drift away slowly as well.

                                                                                 ******

Hey Y'all! another update!! I know it has been a little bit but I have three chapters going up today hopefully but i will definitely have another chapter later so wait for that! I just wanted to let you know Madeleine wont be in many more chapters but the Gladers will stay with the Doom Patrol for a while. For Madeleine i just didn't want to use her just once for a short amount of time so I am giving her own story. I think you will probably see what I mean when she leaves this fiction however the OG Gladers will stay anyways back to the story!