Chapter 1

Luz POV

Gently stirring awake, rubbing my eyes and stretching my arms above my head, I take in the surprising amount of peace from the horrifying Boiling Isles.

But, naturally, that has to be interrupted.

"GOOD MORNING! HOOT HOOT!" You could recognise that annoying voice from miles away.

I groan in annoyance, "Hooty! You couldn't have waited until I was downstairs?!"

"Luz has a big day today, hoot hoot!" says the long owl tube with an unnerving grin on his face, "Gotta get you up and ready as soon as possible!"

Huh? Big day? What is Hooty going on about-
Before I could get another thought in, Hooty barfs up the abomination textbooks that I'd completely forgotten I had.

"OH MY GOD! MY ABOMINATION PRESENTATION!"

Panic raced through my veins making me jolt out of my sleeping bag and forcing me to frantically put on my uniform. I thank Hooty for reminding me to which he wiggles out of my bedroom window with a victorious smile. I sprint downstairs to see the sight of a half-awake Eda groggily drinking her daily apple blood (I can confirm it's very different from apple juice) on the couch and a determined King, further convincing himself that he's the king of his mass pile of adorable plushies.

"Good morning Eda! Good morning King!" I give King a big squeeze, "I have a really important presentation at school today that I really need to practice for! Love you both! Don't burn the house down while I'm gone!"
And before either of them could say a word, I was out the door and running through the forest to meet Willow and Gus at the library. As I sprinted my way through the depths of the forest, I simultaneously ran my fingers through my hair in a sore attempt to smooth out my bed hair.

Finally making it to the large wooden doors of the library, I rest my hands on my knees to catch my breath before pushing the two doors open to immediately see both Willow and Gus sitting at a nearby table.

"Willow! Gus!" I flash them both some finger guns before seating myself across from them both.

"Hey, Luz!" Willow says, "Have you been practising your skills?"

To be honest, I haven't. Abominations don't excite me much so I hadn't really thought about the presentation until Hooty woke me up this morning. This is probably one of the reasons I've failed that class numerous times already.

Gus sensed that I hadn't been practising, "Luz, your presentation's today. Please don't tell me you forgot!"

I fiddle with my fingers and look down in shame before saying, "okay, yeah, I forgot until I was obnoxiously reminded this morning," Willow and Gus gave me a 'you dumbass' type of look. I take this to heart and try to defend myself, "I hadn't thought about it much, okay!"

Willow sighs, "Well, show us what you've got at least. Maybe you've somehow improved without trying?"

Bless her soul for being so optimistic.

I hesitantly agreed and pulled out my notebook and a pencil, proceeding to draw out the combination of glyphs that I'd learnt make an abomination. I look over everything to make sure the combination was correct before tapping it with the end of my pen. A small mound of various shades of purple goo started rising from the paper which honestly impressed me. Huh, maybe Willow was right! Maybe I had improved- *splat*. The purple goo turned into a slimy puddle that definitely didn't look or act like an abomination.

A long pause between the three of us was fortunately interrupted,
"Unless that's some type of human food we don't know about, that was...terrible," Gus says, looking at my poor excuse of an abomination.