Chapter 6

Luz POV

It's the long awaited day of the Grudgby match between Hexide and Glandice which also means... today is the day I have to face up to Willow and explain to her that what happened at the library isn't what it seemed.

I had actively been avoiding Willow at school yesterday. I didn't sit with Willow and Gus at lunch, instead sitting in an empty bathroom stall and, during the classes we had together, I tried to avoid conversing with her. I hated avoiding Willow, she's my best friend and I hated to hurt her in any way but, I wanted her to have time to think it over before I tell her why this is all happening. It's all so sudden for me so, I can't imagine how Willow must be feeling.

Amity and I have still been keeping up our 'enemies' persona. The usual insults, calling me human instead of by my name, shooting death stares. We both knew we didn't mean any of it. After times where Amity had to dig into me in front of Boscha, she would wait until Boscha had turned her back to give me a small smile. I always returned it with a small thumbs up to assure her I knew she didn't mean it. 

It did still hurt a little though. Just knowing that she has the potential to be so kind to me but, can't. That fact stung but, I wanted to do whatever it took for me and Amity to be friends, even if it were in secret.

I came to a halt in my thoughts as I reached the entrance of Hexide. The door covered in banners of golden yellow and blue as well as small decorative signs that had moving text that read, 'Hexide rules, Glandice sucks'.
I agreed. I had no clue what school Glandice was but, I still agreed.

Opening the decorated doors, I was greeted with a swarm of students who were all wearing Hexide colours and chatting amongst themselves with confidence that Hexide will win.

Through the swarm of people, I faintly heard someone yelling my name and, once looking in the direction of the sound, I saw Gus' hand waving in the air. I smiled widely and started to make my way through the crowd. As I got closer, I saw blue hair and glasses.

Crap. Willow.

I wasn't sure what to say to Willow. Our last proper interaction was the library situation. My stomach churned with guilt for avoiding the witch making me want to throw up but, I persisted through the crowd.

Upon reaching the both of them, I smiled awkwardly at Willow to which she looked away and rubbed her neck.

Gus wasn't aware of what happened so, all he cared about was how exciting this Grudgby match was.

"Luz!" the illusionist witch called when I was close enough to finally hear him, "look what I have!" He pulls two hand-held flags from behind his back and starts waving them theatrically.

I giggle at his antics and how excited he was about flags out of all things when I noticed Willow also giggling to herself. I caught her eye and we both looked away in embarrassment. This wasn't like us. I needed to talk to her somehow, but how could I get her to talk to me. Was she mad at me? I had no clue what Willow thought of me and, I was kind of scared to find out.

I don't want to lose Willow by making a new friend.

My thoughts came to an abrupt end when they were interrupted by the Hexide Grudgby team making their way through the crowd to the entrance of the school, the sea of people splitting to let them through.

At the front, leading the team through, was none other than Amity. Her green hair pulled into a high pony with two front strands framing her face. A muted pink jock-like jacket with the Hexide logo on the front and 'Blight' written on the back in all capitals.

I couldn't help but blush in embarrassment when she noticed me looking at her, giving me a small smile that was barely noticeable... but I noticed.

Once Amity- I mean... the team had made their way past me, I looked over at Willow. Her head was down, clearly upset. I knew why but, approaching her would be hard.
Who am I kidding? Willow's my best friend. I shouldn't ignore her worried looks.