Chapter 2

Luz POV

Willow, Gus and I are all sitting at our usual table discussing how our days have been so far. I'm tuning out and not really listening, giving a nod and thumbs up now and then. I can't get my mind off the fact that I'll have to be stuck with Amity for an hour every day after school starting today. What if she just agreed so that she'll have more time to tease me? What if she doesn't even know how to help me? What if-

"Hey, Luz," My thoughts were interrupted by Willow, "are you okay?"

The look of worry on her face made me groan and rest my hand on my cheek, knowing that I'll have to tell her what I'd agreed to. I sigh and Willow nods, silently telling me to share what's on my mind.

"No actually, I'm not..." I say tracing the wooden lunch table with my finger.

"If it's about your abomination presentation..."

Wow. Rude to guess correctly, Willow.

"No, well... yes and no."

"Luz, to be fair, you hadn't practised... maybe this time you'll learn your lesson?" Gus butts in.

Well, now I kinda have to practice...

I roll my eyes and sigh, "I actually have to practice... Sir gave me two options after failing miserably at my presentation..."

"Well, that's great!" Willow says, unknowing of what my situation will be like.

"It would be great if..." I swallow the lump in my throat, "If Amity wasn't the one tutoring me..."

"WHAT?!" Willow and Gus say in chorus, dropping their lunch onto the table.

I face plant into the table in both shame and worry,
"I had no other choice! Well, I did but, it was detention or being tutored by Amity."

I raise my head, resting my cheek on my hand again, looking between both Willow and Gus, their faces a mixture of concern and understanding.

"Luz... I knew blight. She really isn't someone you want to be stuck in a room with..." Willow gives me a concerned frown, "she'll make your life hell."

I already knew this, Amity had already done her best to make me miserable which was maintainable up until now.

"I don't know, Willow," says Gus, "after witnessing the horror that is detention when saving Mattholomule that one time, I think I'd rather choose to be tutored by Amity as well."

I give Gus a small and thankful smile to which he returns.

Willow sighs, "I think I would choose Amity over detention as well... I just hope she'll be nicer to you..."

"Well, she will be getting extra credit for these sessions so, maybe she'll be nicer?" I say, trying to be as optimistic as Willow had been so many times, "she also sealed an oath so... she has to teach me something, right?"

"She sealed an oath?!" Willow says in absolute shock, "Wow, extra credit must mean a lot to her."

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?" I say, slightly offended.

"I just mean, she hates you and yet still sealed an oath to be stuck with you? It doesn't add up."

As much as Willow was right, I kept telling myself that this would be nothing but an opportunity to have a truce with Amity for at least two weeks. Even though I didn't really believe myself.

My stomach churns as the bell screams for the last lesson of the day.

"I'm sure Amity can't be worse than detention," Gus says in an attempt to comfort me.