EIGHTEEN - SUNFLOWERS AND ROSES

Irina had bid goodbye to Alfie moments after sharing their kiss. The strength it took inside of her to tell him Goodnight when all she wanted to do was take him by the hand and lead him up the staircase in her home was inhuman, but of course, she managed it.

They kissed once more, Alfie's eyes pleading with her to let him inside, though he kept his thoughts to himself in his gentlemanly way. A kiss was more than enough for him, the goodbye they shared afterwards being much easier than the one he'd said before.

She was tantalising, drawing every breath from his lungs every time he looked at her, making his eyes wonder how he could've ever thought anything before her was beautiful when in fact, beauty was Irina and Irina alone, nothing else came close.

Alfie was captivated by her. He had found himself falling into her trap before he'd kissed her, but after getting a taste, he knew there was no way he'd ever be satisfied by anything else again in his life. To him, she was the feeling of the cool water on your skin on a hot summers day, the way champagne fizzed in a freshly poured glass, or the way the sunlight reflected on windows at just the right golden hour of the day, making everything you saw through the yellow tint, artwork.

Irina kept him waiting, as hard as it was. She didn't call him the day after, or the day after that, either. It was the third day that she picked up the phone, feeling restless when she awoke and hadn't heard his voice say her name in too long.

She arrived at the warehouse, saying good morning to Kristian who smiled warmly as her before she walked inside her office, her eyes falling on a bouquet of yellow sunflowers and blood red roses sat neatly on her desk, a note tucked between the stems.

She bit her lip, wondering how on Earth Alfie knew what her favourite flowers were. They were wrapped in brown parcel paper and tied with a crisp white ribbon, Irina carefully tugging on the silk to let the paper fall open, calling to Kristian to fetch a vase with water.

Picking up the phone, she dialled the number to Alfie's office, walking over to the window and gazing out at his warehouse in the distance on the opposite side of the canal.

"Solomons."

"Alfie," she said with a smile, her voice soft like the hue of a sunrise through the break in curtains.

"I was wondering when I'd hear your voice again," he replied, his tone quieter than when he first picked up the call, "How are you?"

"I'm well, I just wanted to say thank you for the flowers, they're beautiful."

She heard Alfie chuckle down the line, "I'm sure they are beautiful but I don't have a fuckin' clue what you're talking about. I haven't bought you any flowers, sweetheart."

Furrowing her brows, Irina walked back over to her desk and plucked out the card tucked in the bouquet, opening the envelope with one hand.

"H-how big are they? Because you know, I'll just buy you a bigger bunch, yeah? Whoever this fuckin' loser is thats sending you flowers, I'll-"

"They're from Tommy."

Irina rolled her eyes as she read the small card held between her fingertips, shaking her head at Tommy's name signed at the bottom.

"What?"

"I have to go, I'll talk to you soon."

Looking up, Irina scowled at Thomas Shelby who stood loitering in the doorway to her office with a cigarette in one hand and a vase full of water in the other, a smug smirk on his face.

"Who did you think sent you them? I thought you hated men."

Tommy placed down the vase and blew out a cloud of smoke, flicking ash from the cigarette into a tray on Irina's desk.