FORTY FOUR - HEAVEN AND HELL

[mature themes in this chapter!!]

Alfie shifted when he felt the gentle weight of a hand on his face. He was tired, even a little delirious as he forced his heavy eyes to open, but when he saw Irina for the first time, all the pain was instantly worth it, and he would've taken it a million times over for her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't meant to wake you."

Her voice was soft and quiet. Her face was pale and her eyes dark, although her smile was bright at the sight of him waking up.

It was still light outside, though Alfie wasn't sure how long he'd been sleeping for. He'd drifted off that morning after Thomas left and hadn't opened his eyes again until that moment.

Irina was sat beside him on the bed, her fingertips gently caressing his cheek, her soft skin against the roughness of his stubble and scars on his face. There was an ever growing contrast between them both, but they fit together perfectly.

"I'm glad you did, are you okay?" Alfie said, pushing himself up onto his elbows, the blanket falling down to his waist.

Irina nodded, "I'm fine, but we must pay for Ollie to have his house re-decorated, I made quite a mess."

Alfie smirked, narrowing his eyes at her in the late afternoon sunshine coming through the window. She looked beautiful, despite being exhausted. Her dark hair was pulled to the side over her shoulder, still slightly damp from washing it earlier that morning before Tommy arrived.

"Turns out you can protect yourself, maybe you don't need me after all."

He smiled and her lips mirrored his, a light blush creeping onto her cheeks at not just his words, but the way she felt inside when he looked at her. It was almost a nauseating feeling, worse than any kind of butterflies or fireworks, burning hotter than a fire and colder than a blizzard. Alfie made her feel indescribable, but God did she never want to stop feeling that way.

"I'll always need you, Alfie. You know that."

Reaching up, Alfie pushed Irina's hair back behind her ear, leaving his hand resting on her face for a moment before pulling her down beside him, their faces a breath apart.

"Not as much as I need you."

Unable to wait any longer, Irina pressed her lips to his, smiling at the taste and the feeling of the warmth of them against her own. She loved him, she loved every single thing about him and in that moment, Irina knew she never wanted to be parted from him for a second ever again.

They lay together beneath the sheets, Irina resting against Alfie's chest as he held her close to him, his fingers drawing stars on her shoulder and arm as they both stared at the ceiling.

"I'm sorry," Alfie said after a long period of comfortable silence, his hand dropping still around her shoulder, "For everything I've done. I want to start all this over, Irina, me and you. I want our lives from now on to be happy and stress-free, I just want to be able to love you unconditionally, forever."

Irina pulled her hand up from his chest to the side of his neck, lifting up her head to turn and look at him, a soft smile on her face that reminded Alfie of how hard it was to ever get her to smile when they first met.

"I don't want to forget," she said, "We met this way and we fell in love this way, I don't want to forget how that happened."

Alfie grinned and kissed her again, her wisdom and morals constantly surprising him the longer their relationship went on. He would never have dreamt that such gentle, loving words would ever have come from the lips of a hardened maneater like Irina, at least not the version of her he met at The Eden Club.