1: I Know What You Need To Do

"Are you absolutely sure this is the right move for you?"

Daniel rolled his eyes at his sister's remark. Even from the other side of the English channel, she could still get to him. Her advice still made more sense than anyone else's. Which was probably why he had called her, in the middle of his one-man celebration, from a city he'd never been to before. He'd traveled all the way to Amsterdam for the audition of a lifetime. And now, his life would change forever.

"It's a leading role in a blockbuster superhero movie, Tina." He played around with the beer cap on the table, twirling it around his fingers. "Do you really think I'm going to turn that down? I'll be Captain Universe with the whole fucking world. My pretty face will be on billboards and busses everywhere."

"It just..." His sister sighed. "It doesn't seem like you, Danny. You're not the type to run around in tights and cough out badly written lines for money and fame."

"Maybe I am that type," he mumbled. "Maybe you just don't know me, Tina. Some money and fame never hurt anyone. And just imagine Willa's face when she sees her uncle on those billboards."

"Willa would rather see you in the flesh, Danny, you know that. She's been talking about you coming here for her birthday for weeks. You better not break that promise."

"I won't," he said, knowing full well that he might let his niece down. Because her fifth birthday party--celebrated in his small hometown in Scotland where Tina still lived--fell on the day after Daniel needed to show up at his agent's office--in London--to sign his contract to be Captain Universe. And after that, who knew what would happen? Press conferences, interviews, and preparations would probably ensue, which would make a flight to Scotland very untimely.

"And I just worry that they cast you as a pretty boy who's only there to smile at the cameras."

Daniel took another sip of his beer to drown out the noise in his head. Because, of course, his thoughts had gone the same path as his sister's. They were cut out of the same cloth, after all.

But did the reason he was cast really matter? The money and fame would be his anyway.

Daniel groaned. "And what's wrong with that?" he asked. "I'm pretty, don't you agree with that, sis? So why not take advantage of my looks?"

"You are pretty, Danny," Tina replied. "Although to me, you will always be a little boy with unbrushed hair, crooked teeth, and glasses. I have to admit you kind of grew into your looks. But you're so much more than just pretty. You're an incredibly talented actor."

Tina wasn't one for compliments so admitting to both her brother's prettiness and talent must have taken a lot of effort. Daniel couldn't help but beam on the inside from the words.

"Thank you," Daniel said, unaccustomed to responding to such accolades from his only sibling. He took another sip of beer to swallow the compliment. "I'm glad to know you think that."

"And if you do this, Danny," Tina continued, "you might not be able to get more serious parts afterward. You always talked about doing Shakespeare when you grew up. Do you think they want a superhero to play Hamlet?"

Daniel sighed. His head hurt. Either from the conversation or from the bottles of beer before him. Maybe another sip of beer would make things better.

"Well, I don't think they want a teenage vampire to play Hamlet either," he replied, referring to his recurring role on the CW drama Blood Diaries. "And that's what I am currently if someone even knows who I am. At least, this way, people in the business will know my name. Daniel Shephard will be known as Captain Universe." He swooshed his hand in the air--imagining how his name would flash on the screen in the blockbuster trailer--which made other patrons in the bar turn their heads.

"If that's what you say, Danny," his sister replied. A loud squeak was heard in the background. "Willa is up," she concluded. "I need to go check on her. I'll talk to you later. Call me when you've decided what to do."

"I've already decided, Tina," he said to no one, because his sister was already gone from the line.

Because he had decided. Hadn't he? Daniel had decided the moment the alluring role was offered to him. All that remained were formalities such as signing the contract.

So why did he still feel torn? Why had he even called his permanently skeptical sister for advice?

He didn't want to answer those questions. Not right now. Not ever. He wanted to play Captain Universe. Savior of everything in known existence and wearer of tight purple tights.

Even if those purple tights would haunt him forever. And probably ride up his crotch.

He got up from the bar chair, making it tumble over in the process. Surprised, he looked at the fallen chair. That was not meant to happen. He was Captain Universe, for god's sake!

High on future fame, Daniel staggered out of the bar. His legs acted disobediently on account of the copious amounts of beer he'd drunk. Because the problem with drinking beer while sitting down is that you don't know you've had too many until you stand up. And Daniel had definitely had too many of them. He realized that now.

Luckily, his hotel was just around the corner.

The cold air didn't sober him up. Instead, it reminded him of Scotland, Tina, and her perhaps wise words. Words that Daniel maybe should consider. Unless he wanted to wear purple tights for the rest of his life.

While Daniel supported himself against a wall, trying to get his bearings, he saw a person approach in the corner of his eye. A dark hoodie covered their face, but he could still sense them looking at him intently.

"Are you Daniel Shephard?"

As Daniel turned, the world spun in neon lights. Perhaps, he should have drunk less. Maybe his problems would seem less then too.

"That's me!" It wasn't that often he was recognized, but it happened occasionally. He had after all played an ancient Viking vampire on the CW.

Soon, the whole world would know his name. Once the cast list for the new blockbuster superhero was released, newspapers would harangue him for interviews and teens would swarm outside every hotel he stayed at. At least, that's what he imagined.

Daniel Shephard. The new Captain Universe.

Women would want to be with him and men would... well hopefully they would also want to be with him since Daniel preferred male companionship in the bedroom. Children would be named in his honor. His hometown would dedicate a street, or perhaps even a square, to him.

His niece would adore him forever.

He readied his hand to sign an autograph. Perhaps his signature would be a bit shaky, but it would do. In fact, this person would soon consider themselves lucky to have it because the value of such a possession would soon skyrocket.

"I know what you need to do, Daniel," the person who had stopped him said.

The words reawoke the doubts in Daniel's mind. He looked up, perplexed. Did they know something about his current conundrum?

Just as he was about to ask what they meant, a sharp sting pricked his bare arm, which was stretched out toward the stranger to put a signature on some silly object.

A kaleidoscope of lights flashed around Daniel for a moment. All the colors of the rainbow at once. Then everything went black.