10: Believe it

There were no strings of translucent moss or fluttering light bugs on the dark stage. There was only emptiness and desperation.

Daniel couldn't even use his imagination anymore. It was wiped out by fear and frustration. All he had was his acting skills. And right now he played the role of an actor who knew what he was doing.

His lines and moves might sound inspired. He hoped they did. But the inspiration was an act in itself.

This story had so many layers of pretend that it was hard to know what was real anymore.

But Daniel focused on the task at hand. He acted out walking into the caves, letting his hand trace non-existing walls that were slippery from dew. He found the ridiculous giant water-lily and was fascinated by its magic glow. He was tongue-tied as the beautiful Queen graced Prince Ramon with her magical presence.

"Now, kiss her!" the author instructed Daniel, who stood on his knees on imaginary glowing petals.

There was no one there to kiss. It was hard to look past that. But he didn't protest. Daniel was done protesting. Protesting wouldn't make the madness stop.

His hands fondled in the air for porcelain skin and his lips looked for nothing to press against. There were no fireworks, but all in all, he thought he did quite a good job. Air-kissing was a difficult art to master.

The author didn't agree. An audible sigh echoed from beyond the blinding spotlights in front of Daniel. "You need to do it with passion!" they commanded him. "This is true love, Daniel! I want to feel it."

Daniel groaned silently and swallowed a bunch of curses about how Prince Ramon had just fucking met this glow-in-the-dark queen. How could the prince possibly love her already? And how was Daniel supposed to act passionately when there was no one there to direct those emotions at?

"I'm trying," he simply said, all his usual rashness buried deep down. His sister's calming face danced before him as he remained loyal to his resolve to fight this battle internally instead of externally. Acting out only seemed to anger his opponent. And two angry people were unlikely to land on a satisfying resolution together.

"Well, try better," was the helpful reply. Daniel took a deep breath to keep himself from a smart reply.

"Maybe I should have brought Camilla here as well," the author continued. "Perhaps that would have helped you with this scene."

Camilla? Daniel wracked his brain to figure out who the author talked about. The Fairy Queen in the story was called Lucinda, not Camilla, although...

Oh, that Camilla! Camilla DeSoto, most known from the TV show Pretty City, but now apparently cast in the role of The Fairy Queen. Daniel remembered seeing her pretty face--known for kissable lips and impossibly long lashes--below his own in the face claim section of the first script he'd received.

Daniel didn't know Camilla. He'd met her once at some gala, but they hadn't exchanged more than a nod, a smile, and perhaps some polite words. He didn't even remember. But that didn't matter. He was determined to not put anyone else suffer this madness. Not if he could help it.

"Let me try again," Daniel pleaded, swiping his charcoal-smudged bangs from his face and tilting his head slightly to the side. This move had reliably worked for him ever since his toddler years. His sister made fun of him for using it on her when he wanted the last piece of cake or something like that, but still usually gave in to her baby brother's wishes. "I believe I can nail it this time."

That was a lie. Daniel actually wasn't sure if he could act out this kiss convincingly. But he had to try. And he had to sound like he believed in himself.

"If you believe in the story you try to tell the audience, then they will believe it as well." That was acting 101, taught to him on his first day of acting school. Now he had to put that into practice as he tried to save himself and others.

He had to believe he was Prince Ramon, sole heir to a throne he hadn't even known about. And he had to believe he was Daniel Shephard, a genius actor without a single doubt in his ability.

"Let's try it from the kiss one more time," the author conceded. "Start when the queen starts to inch closer."

Daniel looked down at the floor, believing it was glowing petals. He looked up to see perfect features, delicate like the surface of a leaf, and lips that glittered like starlight. He let himself freeze in place from love at first sight.

He chased all thoughts of how ridiculous the scene was away and lost himself in it. Or rather, he let Daniel Shephard, the genius actor, lose himself in it.

As he reached his hand out to caress silky skin, he could almost feel the sparkles fly from the touch.

He closed his eyes and pressed his lips to shimmering lips. Glowing magic and fireworks surrounded him.

His insides tingled, like when he kissed a really handsome guy. Although to be fair, he hadn't kissed many of those lately. His dazzling looks didn't get him as many dates as one would probably believe. It was hard to find time for dating when constantly chasing fame.

Daniel couldn't even remember his last kiss.

But he remembered the first one. The first real one at least. There had been some failed attempts at girl-kissing before that.

But Neil Hathaway had been real. They'd kissed between strobing lights and sticky floors in a crowded club in London. It had been Daniel's first semester in acting school. After that, it had been them. Until Daniel left, lured by the fame and fortune of Blood Diaries.

Neil was married now. Perhaps he even had children. Daniel had stopped following his ex on Instagram after the wedding pictures were posted.

That ship had sailed. But the kiss still lived in his memory, and Daniel put every high-pitched emotion he'd felt in that exhilarating moment into the scene he was forced to act out. In front of him was no longer nothing, but the memory of what had once been and would never be again.

Nothing turned into everything at that moment. Everything he longed for but couldn't have. Every single doubt he'd ever harbored. Every step that had brought him to nothing.

He opened his eyes just as the light directed at the stage went out. A single applause heralded his performance.

"I believed you this time," the author told him. "Good job, Daniel."

Of course, they'd believe him. Because it had been real. The most real thing Daniel had felt in years.

Author's Note: Not sure why this parody is suddenly turning so emotional...