Chapter Three

I'm clutching desperately the leather armrests in Carmela's horseless carriage so hard that my knuckles are turning white. I fear that if I let go, I shall go flying into the strange clear shield in front of me. Or perhaps I shall stop and hit the strange dark... thing in front. This car as she calls it may be the strangest thing I have seen yet. Although if what she tells me is true, it is not going to be the strangest after seeing this... mall that we are going to.

Carmi's car is traveling at an insane speed down a smooth black road. Why, we are going so fast that we are practically flying! (On a side note, I am told that there are huge metal birds called airplanes that actually can fly... and take people with them! Goodness!) The world is whizzing by. Alongside of us, there are tons and tons of other similar cars. Loud, foreign music is blaring out seemingly from nowhere. Carmela told me that the music is popular, or pop music, and it is coming from speakers. I fear I shall have to get a journal to carry around everywhere full of new words if this telling me more and more new words keeps up.

After Ev dragged me out of her room, she loudly announced that I needed to get out of the house. And of course with just my luck the whole of our society was gathered in the room. Amanda then started gushing about what a wonderful idea that was, and my protests that I just wanted to sulk were ignored, so Carmela volunteered to take me shopping.

Shopping. Before, only royals, nobles, and few wealthy merchants could affort frivolous clothing and goods. The majority of the world was composed of peasants, our society included. And all we ever went to market (which is now called a mall) for was necessities such and perhaps one or two indulgences. Such as Ailie's necklace.

My hand goes to my collarbone to feel the familiar shape. After I got back to society, I put it on and haven't taken it off since. Right now tis tucked under the new shirt I am wearing since I was told that the likes of it are no longer common. Tis a valuable antique that I am told I should not flaunt.

"You okay?" asks Carmela, looking over at me.

"Fine," I manage. Tis hard to speak without throwing up in this bizzare transportation. Although on the bright side, it is a smooth ride. Far smoother than carriges and wagons that hit all the ruts and bumps in the roads. "I believe I am adjusting to this."

"Great," she replies, grinning. "We're almost there."

True to her word, the nerve wracking journey is over quite soon. Carmela leads me inside a large building full of tons and tons of people. There's lots of loud speaking and bright colors, a sensory overload. My eyes dart around, trying but utterly failing to take in everything. Gasping, I lean against the wall to the entrance. Carmela waits for me, looking nervous.

"Give me. A second," I say, gasping for breath. This is the market nowadays? I picture a few shoddy built structures and tents in a cluster. The market I used to go to. Now I believe that that whole market could fit inside this entrance area.

Finally, I believe I have a hold on myself. I allow Carmi to lead me to a place called a food court. Tis a place inside of the mall where one can get food from several different food shops. There I try a mean that I have never had before. Meat, bread, tomatoes, lettuce, some sort of sauce. A hamburger, I believe. The drink Carmela orders me is also strange. It's an unnatural flavor, with fizzes and bubbles. Upon drinking it, I start to feel more sympathy for how Tegan. I remember how disorientated she had seemed. This new world is almost frighteningly insane.

Carmela drags me into lots and lots of shops, putting me into more and more scandalous clothing. It starts innocent (in a way) with flowy tunics and shirts, skirts and pants. At first I protest when she insists I try on tighter and shorter clothing, but I soon get into the spirit. For a while there, I start to forget about the whole mess with the Sleeping Girl. If I am being honest, I believe that I look rather pretty and grown up in some of the outfits I try on.