Chapter Nineteen

When I look up at her, Ebony has Carmela pinned to the wall. One long bony hand presses her stomach against the wall, the is slowly closing around Carmi's slender neck. Carmela is clawing feebly at Ebony, but to no avail. Hands waving uselessly in the dead air, face turning an unnatural and rather unbecoming shade of violet, it's clear as day that she's fighting a losing battle. It's only a matter of seconds before she passes out, or worse, dies. 

Carmela notices that I'm looking at her, and makes eye contact with me. For the first time ever, I see her looking helpless, pleading. Her eyes have filled with tears, although I can see she's too proud to let them spill. But she can't kill a faery with her bare hands; it's all she can do not to die.

I'm not telepathic, but I can too her message. Help me, her eyes are saying.

Ebony meanwhile, has noticed the direction of Carmela's gaze. She knocks a swift blow to Carmela's face, then releases her, letting the girl drop uselessly to the ground, a blazing red mark marring her face. 

"It's just you and me, Sleeping Girl," says Ebony, softly, walking slowly towards me. "Now put down the blade and why don't we chat it out. We're so alike, you and me."

I laugh harshly, although as much as I hate to admit it, something in me is intrigued by her claim.

"Pray tell how a hero like me can be like a monster as you."

"Oh darling," she chuckles. "You're not quite a hero yet. And I'm not a monster yet. Neither of us have accomplished our goals. Both powerful would be leaders, pushed back so others can lead. Did you know, all my life I've really be overlooked? Because I'm a faery, you see, and faeries can be regarded as traitors. Since there's those disgusting light fey who sided with you. There's no such thing as a light werewolf or vampire, you see. 

"But I proved all those prejudiced worms wrong. I alone rose up, I alone got close to our dearie there. Sound familiar? Sleeping Girl, always protected, always shielded by society, never allowed to reach her full potential? Do you really want to do everything to help those who have oppressed you your whole life?" 

For one moment, I consider what she says, then I hate myself for it. "You're wrong, Ebony," I tell her, feeling my resolve get stronger and stronger with each second. "We are nothing alike. I'm strong. You're weak. Now is my chance to prove I'm stronger than I've been given credit for, but unlike you, I'm going to take it, and I'm going to be great. You're just going to be dead."

"Why you impudent- "

She doesn't get a chance to finish her thought. As soon as I'm done talking, I launch towards her and take a leap, bringing my foot up as far as I can, close to my face. It connects with her face and I hear a satisfying crack, the resounding sound of breaking bones, feel something smash to the side. She stumbles backwards and I throw my hands out below myself to break my fall. I'm not quick enough though, and a dart of pain goes through my left shoulder as it takes the brunt for my fall. 

Wincing, I roll to the side, pressing up with my arms off the ground and springing to my feel the moment they touch solid ground. I can't afford to be hurt.

My eyes dart wildly around the room as I look for Ebony. I don't anticipate the slap, the slap that comes with superhuman strength behind it. The first thing I realize, is the split second feeling of air rushing past until I feel the solid wall on my back, then the ground beneath me. My head slams painfully against the wall, and all I can think about is the pain, then I can't think about anything at all. My vision starts to fuzz around the edge, and shapes begin to lose their definitive edges.

No. I am not that weak. If I can heal others, I can heal myself too. I force myself to will the pain away, and within seconds my head clears to see the face of Ebony mere inches from myself, hands poised in the air, lips stretched in an unnatural leering grin.