two

charlotte willard

i slept the whole plane ride, not even waking up to eat or get anything to drink. i usually stay up at least half my flight and watch movies and order random food when i get bored. i knew i was still going to be worn out once we got to la, switching time zones once again. maddy was glad i slept because she already had a night out planned for us.

she said her friends were eager to see her and meet me. i figured since i slept on the plane i could make a dinner party.

as the plane landed i fixed my messy hair, throwing it up into a loose ponytail. i folded up the blanket that was thrown across my lap, sticking it under the seat. i rubbed my swollen eyes, stretching a bit before unbuckling my seat belt once we were safely stopped. maddy got up quickly, immediately grabbing my small suitcase and her small bag.

i was still in a sleep coma apparently because she tugged the hoodie i was wearing. "what?" i mumbled, stepping out into aisle. she was already jetting down to the exit door. "we only have an hour till dinner!" she yelled, pulling my suitcase and carrying her bag. it was slung over her shoulder, hitting the plane seats as she ran.

i quickly picked up my slow pace, trying to catch up to her. i started fast walking as once i go to the exit door my body slammed into hers. "ow sorry!" i said, steadying myself before i took in her weird demeanor. she looked frustrated but anxious, something i didn't see quit often.

"what is it?" i asked, seeing her eye the flight attendant that was about to open the plane door. my eyes flickered between them, my anxiety now spiking. "there's paparazzi out there.." maddy trailed off and my hands froze down by my side.

one thing i haven't had to deal with in Greece was paparazzi. no one has bothered me about my break up with timothée and it was wonderful. i truly don't know what i'd do if i got bombarted with questions about him. i wasn't ready to face that but in order to get to the car that was waiting to take us to maddy's apartment— we had to pass them.

"how did they even know?" i question, now anxious about this whole trip. i know this wouldn't be the first time i'd run in to them during my stay but i didn't think it would be this soon.

"whatever let's just go." i mumbled, looking at the door. the flight attendant quickly began to unlatch it. i pulled my hood up, pulling it as low as it would go to where i could still see. my stomach was in knots as the la sun hit my face. before i step out into the sun, i turn and grab my suitcase so maddy wasn't carrying it.

once i'm turned back around people immediately started yelling random things. i heard the clicks of pictures as i tugged my hood down. i didn't show my face, keeping my head low. i walked down the steps, keeping a moderate pace. i heard maddy behind me while i walked.

security was already down the stairs waiting for us.

"charlotte over here!"

"cherry how are you?"

"hi madelyn!"

i kept a straight face but my stomach was is knots. i always feel so vulnerable around paparazzi. it has never been something i liked but it was either hide on the plane or step outside and get it over with.

i made it to the concert, fast walking to the black SUV.

"cherry how are you doing after your break up?"

"cherry are you and timothée getting back together?"

i think i'd like the earth to split open and swallow me whole. my hands clenched around my suitcase, my feet picking up pace. i really just wanted to get out of here, away from everyone. i shouldn't be surprised they brought up timothée, i'm sure similar things were happening to him too.