twelve.

It was the time of night where a promise of endless possibilities hung thick in the air. The sweet smell of honeysuckle that lined the sidewalk overcame my senses as the clear night sky revealed a brilliant array of stars.

Luke was careful not to outpace me despite his long legs as we walked down the empty downtown street. Wednesdays weren't the biggest party night and only an occasional car broke the silence. Neither Luke nor I spoke, leaving me to wonder where he was taking us. Excitement prickled under my skin at the prospect of an adventure and I swallowed anticipation. As happy as I found myself to be alone with Luke, I also knew the promise I had made to Leah. I'm only doing this for her, I wouldn't be spending time with him if she didn't ask me to. Or, that was what I told myself.

"Here we are." Luke's voice snapped me back from my thoughts. I looked up at the building in front of me. Its pink paint was chipping, and the sign was faded. Paradise Ice Cream Parlor it read, complete with a smiling flamingo in sunglasses. Warmth spread through my chest at our destination, finding the fact he brought me to get ice cream incredibly endearing.

"Ladies first." He said while opening the door. A tiny bell dinged as I stepped inside the small shop. We were its only inhabitants besides a bored girl behind the counter who was scrolling through her phone. The turquoise walls were sparse besides a few tropical themed photos that were faded with age. I started to make my way over to order when Luke took my hand. My pulse quickened at the contact.

"No, not yet." A smile took over his face. "This way."

Luke's hand was warm, and I let him guide me to a staircase located in the back. He told me to be careful down the narrow steps as he gripped my hand tighter and started walking down. I followed him cautiously, scared I would trip and send both of us flying to the ground. Once I got to the bottom, Luke dropped my hand and I looked up to find rows and rows of shelves filled with VHS tapes. The florescent lights overhead bathed the shop in unnatural white light.

"Did we just enter a time machine to the 90s?" I said in disbelief, turning to Luke and watching a smile pull on the ends of his lips.

"I haven't even shown you the best part." He tipped his head to the front of the video store. I followed him through the shelves of tapes until we arrived at a small array of old arcade games, neatly lined up in a row.

"Retro," I said with a grin.

"Cool, right?" Luke leaned against a pinball machine with his arms crossed.

"I have to say, I'm impressed," I admitted. "Too bad I don't have a VHS player. Or any quarters."

"Well, lucky for you, a dashingly handsome friend of yours just happens to have both." He dug around in his pockets and pulled out a handful of coins.

"You own a VHS player?" The disbelief was apparent in my tone.

"Oh Brooklyn, when will you learn?" Luke gave me a wink. "I'm full of surprises."

**

I couldn't help but watch Luke as he talked with the girl scooping our ice cream from where I sat in the corner. Her demeanor completely changed when he approached, his magnetism apparent as she was drawn to him like a piece of metal. It was interesting to observe the effect Luke had on people, namely people of the female variety. The way their posture straightened, hair was fiddled with and a smile took over their features. I looked away quickly as he started to walk towards me with two cups of ice cream in each hand.

"One boring old vanilla ice cream." He said while handing me my cup.

"Can't beat the classics," I answered while taking it.