eighteen.

There are certain moments in life that you know will become memories dripped in nostalgia even when they're unfolding before your very eyes. I could recall this happening on only a few occasions; a road trip to see The Killers in high school, the first night I got drunk with Sophie in our dorm room, my parents taking me and my brother to Disney World for Christmas.

I was confident that this would be one of those evenings I'd think about for years to come. It wasn't because of my company, or rather it wasn't only because of my company. It wasn't even the particular place I'd been brought. In fact, where we'd ended up wasn't extraordinary in the least. In front of me was the parking garage that loomed over campus with floors upon floors of empty concrete. It cost an arm and a leg to park here, something college students rarely had on hand, resulting in the spaces being vacant most of the time.

No, it was simply a combination of factors that had all swelled together in one perfect equation.

"So, did you take us here to show me your mad parkour skills?" I asked with a grin, turning to look at Luke who simply stood with arms folded across his chest.

"Be patient ye of little faith, what I am about to show you will forever change your life." He pointed to the staircase. "But first we must climb to the top."

"I kind of feel like a kid being lured into a van with candy." My eyes traveled from where Luke indicated we go and then back to him. "Except the van is a tall building with a death drop and the candy is a nondescript promised surprise."

"Do I seem like a creep in a van to you?" He zipped up his hoodie.

"It's always the cute ones." The words fell from my lips without warning and I instantly felt shame send heat to my cheeks. A surprised expression took over his features, but quckily slipped into one of ease. You can't call a boy with a girlfriend cute. I thought instantly. But you also shouldn't be hanging out alone with said boy for as many evenings as you have. Before I could make a witty coverup, Luke was already starting towards the stairwell.

"I'll race you to the top." He called jogging backwards. His voice bounced off the walls in an echo that would be eerie if it was anyone else.

"You know I did track in high school," I responded while making my way over to him at a normal pace. "I'm not sure you know what you're up against."

"Just because you did track doesn't mean you were good at track," He said.

"You're a jerk."

"Maybe." He shrugged his shoulders and grinned. "But at least I'm a cute jerk."

I decided to ignore the implication to what I had said earlier and put one foot on the first stair. "Are we going to race or not?"

"Eager, are we?" Luke laughed. "Alright, on the count of three. One... two..."

And with that the lanky boy of long limbs sprinted up the stairs. I bit back a smile at his childish method of cheating and bounded after him. It wasn't long before I raced past, briefly turning to flash a peace sign before taking the steps two at a time. My heart pounded in the ribcage which contained it as I pushed myself higher and higher. I hadn't realized how truly tall the parking garage was; legs burning and my breaths coming out in shallow gasps once I reached the top.

"Nice of you to finally join me." Luke was leaning against the concrete wall with arms folded squarely across his chest.

Confusion played across my features. "How did you..."

"Being a man of wit, I simply used the elevator." He shot me a wink. "We never clarified the stairs had to be taken."

I laughed and shook my head, heart still pounding from the physical exertion. Luke wordlessly tipped his head to the far end of the roof and we silently walked over. The wind was stronger due to our height and I shivered. Before I could fully comprehend what he was doing, Luke hopped onto the ledge in a single fluid motion. A scream caught at my throat as I instinctively reached out to him.

"What are you doing?" I gasped.

"Relax, I'm just going up there." He pointed to a smaller structure in front of him. I watched as he pulled himself on top of it, leaning over and outstretching a hand towards me.

"No way," I said while shaking my head defiantly.

"What, scared of heights?"

"No, just the fact I could quite possibly fall to my death with one slip."

"Do you trust me?" He asked softly.

"Have you ever noticed that it's the people you can't trust who ask that?" But despite myself, I took his hand. I'd done it before, had this intimate contact. However, each time the warmth spread a little further, the spark felt a little stronger, and I found myself not wanting to let go even more. I was cautious to make sure I had my balance on the railing before letting him pull me up slowly.

It was when I looked out that my breath was taken and I realized why I'd been taken here. A pink sky dripped overhead as if someone had simply thrown a bucket of paint upwards and watched it cover an endless canvas. Wisps of clouds illuminated a holy yellow glow among the rosy background. Even more stunning were the rolling hills that had just begun to change their leaves, covered in a hazy mist and seeming to stretch on forever.

"It's beautiful." I breathed in awe, unable to tear my eyes from the aesthetics in front of me. It was a view a picture could never capture and a moment that could never be replicated.

"Ain't it?" Luke responded, taking a seat with his knees pulled to his chest. I followed suit, both of us sitting in comfortable silence and gazing out with awestruck eyes.

"Is everything alright?" I asked finally, turning to look at Luke who kept his eyes faced forward. "I mean, you seemed pretty off on the phone and earlier today."

"It's nothing," he answered simply.

"You know you can tell me whatever's going on." I was surprised that when I uttered the words I truly meant them. Of course, I'd only gotten close to him in order to help Leah, but I now found myself truly wondering what was on his mind. Not just wondering, but wanting to help.

"Brooklyn, I called you to forget." Luke finally turned his head. "It's easy to get lost with you, to pretend that everything is fine. I really need that right now, to pretend."

This would be the opportunity to open him up, to have all of his inner workings clearly on display so I could dissect them one by one. An opportunity Leah would surely relish. But I couldn't do it. My own experiences were part of that, but even more was the way he looked. The fatigue on his face caused him to look older, an expression of unexplainable loss was etched into his face.

"I know what you mean. It's easier to be someone else with people not involved." There were unspoken secrets between us, both of us on the same page but with totally different written chapters in our past.

"Exactly. See, you get it." Luke turned to face me. I could feel my heart skip as his gaze didn't waver, blue piercing me like icy water. He scooted closer, legs gently grazing mine. I wanted so desperately to reach out and feel the soft fabric of his jacket, to take the step we hadn't dare taken. It felt as if something was going to happen, something inexplicable and wrong... something intrinsic and right.

He put his arm around my shoulder and gave a small squeeze. "Thanks for being here, Brooklyn. I really need a friend right now."

Or perhaps nothing at all.

**

sorry it took me so long to update. life's a bitch.