seven.

"I refuse to believe you're actually sick."

The phone was pressed to my cheek as I stood leaned against the brick wall of the student center. The muffled sound of 'Dancing Queen' could be heard from inside, the flashing lights hit the faces of everyone entering the building.

"Brooklyn, I promise I wouldn't just ditch you if I legitimately didn't feel like shit." Sophie's voice did sound congested and I knew she wouldn't lie about being ill.

I let out an exasperated sigh. "I know, it's just embarrassing being at this thing alone."

My hair was tied back in a green scarf, a floral print dress hugged my body and the look was polished off with a pair of shiny white gogo boots. It of course wasn't a requirement to dress up, but was certainly encouraged and made the whole experience a lot more fun. However, standing in the getup alone was mortifying considering that I'd only seen two people in total actually dress to the theme. It was easier not to care with friends doing the same.

"Why don't you invite Ashton? This is his kind of scene." Sophie suggested.

"He has a date tonight." I answered. It was a weekly occurrence for Ashton to go out for drinks with some girl. It always ended with him calling it early and complaining to me about some insignificant flaw she possessed. To say Ashton was picky would be an understatement.

"Poor girl." Sophie responded. "What about Evan or Sabrina?"

"Not their thing." My coworkers and I did get together every once and awhile, but I knew they wouldn't be caught dead at something like this. Drunk or not.

"Well, I'm sorry then. I promise I'll make it up to you." Her statement was finished with a fit of coughing.

"Don't worry about it, I'm sure you didn't choose to be sick. No matter how convenient." I shifted the phone to my other ear, not missing the amused looks of two boys as they took in my over the top 70s attire. "You need me to grab anything on the way home? Cough syrup?"

"Nah, I think I'm good. Thanks, though. Maybe you could try and meet new people?" She suggested, trying to sound hopeful.

"Soph, you know the only people here are freshman." And I was still one of the only people dressed like an idiot. "I'll probably just head back."

"Alright, be safe." She answered, sniffling.

We exchanged byes and I stuffed the phone into my handbag. The next bus wasn't due for another hour considering the reduced schedule that started at eight p.m. I figured I'd brave the embarrassment and just walk home since it was the faster option.

The streets were a bustle of activity considering it was downtown on a Friday night. I held my head high and pretended not to notice the drunken snickers aimed at me that came from groups of girls dressed head to toe in black.

I hadn't walked a block when a fat droplet of water landed on my cheek. It wasn't a downpour, but a sprinkle of rain was released from the dark sky overhead. I watched as people scrambled to find cover in the nearest bar. Deciding that I would only stop if it got worse, I trudged on.

I stopped at an intersection waiting for the walk sign to turn when a black car pulled up beside me. My hand instinctively went to the pepper spray that was inside my bag. I knew it was probably just an Uber driver asking if I was their customer but it was better to be safe than sorry. It wasn't until the window rolled down that I removed my fingers from the trigger.

"You look ridiculous." Luke said, eyes sweeping down my my body. I knew it was just because of my ridiculous outfit, but him taking me in head from toe caused my chest to seize.