Chapter 28

We were are currently heading to Drews parents house for the annual barbecue they throw every year. Everyone around me was used to going to these leaving me being the only one that was kind of nervous for the event. 

I had my hair in loose pinned straight and put on a baby pink lose plain t-shirt dress that complimented my tan skin and blond hair. Slipping on my white air forces to complete my outfit, with no makeup aside from mascara sense my skin was on my side today. 

Drew was driving as I sat in the back next to Rudy, everyone was in there own conversation as I stared out the window occupying myself with counting the palm trees we were passing. 

"Are you nervous?" Rudy whispered to me as I turned to him nodding my head. "A little" I said picking at my rings on my fingers as he placed his hand on top of mine. "Don't be they are actually one of the nicest people I've ever met" He said as he put his hand back in his lap. 

"we're here" Drew said as he pulled into an empty space in front of the house. There was light music echoing around the house already with laughter and chit chatter. Little kids were chasing each other in the front yard as some adults were playing bean bag toss. 

I hopped out of the car as Drew locked the car making his way next to me as he placed his hand on my lower back. "Ready?" he said as we followed the others from behind as I smiled at him softly. "Yea" I said as we reached the front yard. 

"wait this is your aunts house?" I said as he nodded. "Yea because my parents live in north carolina, so for the annual barbecue they make it out here along with the rest of the family like baby cousins and all" He said as I nodded. 

I started to remember when I was supposed to meet his parents but it was right around the time I broke up with him because I didn't want that pressure on him to be apart of the time in my life that I was going through treatment and to me it wasn't fair to put him through that with the busy schedule he had. 

"Ah you must be the lady Drew won't stop talking about to his mother" A gentleman approached us after he hugged the girls. He extended his arm for me to shake as I smiled softly. "Shane" I said as he smiled. "Todd its nice to finally meet you" He said "likewise" I said smiling as he turned to Drew. 

He sarcastically covered his mouth to whisper loud enough for me to hear, "You picked a good one" He said winking at me as I laughed. "Please help yourself the rest of the family is in the back they're already playing country music" He said as I warmly smiled following the others with Drew behind me. 

Two little boys ran up to Drew laughing as they hugged his legs. "Drew your home" they said in their baby voice as I awed at the sight of Drew smiling at them as he bent over to their height giving them a hug. 

"You guys need to meet my girlfriend" He said pointing up at me as they looked over at my direction. "you have a girlfriend" One of them said scrunching their nose as I laughed. 

"Shane meet Brody, Tyler, and Rider" He said pointing to each of them as they waved to me smiling. "You're pretty" Brody said smiling shyly as I smiled softly at him. "Why thank you Brody" I said as Drew laughed softly. 

"Don't try to steal my girlfriend now" Drew said as he tickled Brody causing a laugh to escape his mouths making me smile as I looked around the rest of the yard. Drew and I followed to were the rest of the group went occasionally saying hi to those who said hi to him. 

"My baby" I heard a womans' voice say as she walked away from a group of people to approach us as she hugged Drew. "Hi mom" He said as I smiled softly at her as she turned towards me. 

"And you must be Shane, we've heard so much about you" She said opening her arms for me to hug her as I smiled in her embrace. A mothers embrace I missed so much. "I hope all good things" I said as we released the hug making her laugh.