04.| ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀʀɴɪᴠᴀʟ [1]

━━━ CHAPTER FOUR.
04. the carnival.
❝ I WAS HERE JUST A FEW
WEEKS AGO. ❞

CASSIE AND MATTHEW'S NIGHT was very well spent

CASSIE AND MATTHEW'S NIGHT was very well spent. They both had a blast and enjoyed each other's company. But as said before, Matthew only fell for the blonde even more than he had before. She had him wrapped around her finger and she knew nothing of it. But Matthew couldn't help but wonder if Cassie had known of his feelings towards her and chose to ignore it. Or if she was as oblivious as he assumed.

"Mom wants us at that carnival in the next thirty minutes." Nate snaps his brother out of his thoughts. He jumps onto the boy's bed. "Same stupid contest."

Matthew stays silent, as he continued staring up at the ceiling.

"Hey, you there?"

Matthew nods. He sits up while rubbing his head in frustration. "I don't know if I'm going to go this year. I have a headache and I'm just not in the m—"

"No, shut the fuck up." Nate scoffs. "You're coming with us. Dude, Cassie's most likely going to be there. You could make your move!" he laughs.

"Yeah and if Cassie's there Mckay is too," Matthew tells him.

"Dude, why don't you two just like fight for her?"

The older boy looks at his younger brother, glaring as if he had just asked the stupidest question.

"Or beat his ass and take her?"

Matthew snorts. "I'm not fighting over a girl. And I'm not beating anyone's ass over that too. Immature and a waste of time."

Nate narrows his eyes, leaning his head. "You really wouldn't hurt anyone for Cassie?"

"I would. In a heartbeat." Matthew quickly says. "But the point is I'm not fighting for her heart."

"What if I just swoop in and take her off your hands?" Nate jokes.

Matthew rolls his eyes. "Now I'd definitely beat your ass." he laughs. "But I don't think I should worry about it you doing something that stupid. Because if it isn't getting beat by my hands, it'll be Maddy's," he says.

Nate nods in agreement, not bothering to argue with the boy. "You're right. I won't risk it. At least not yet. I'm still trying to win Maddy back. Although she's been acting weird."

At first, Matthew had been wondering why Maddy would act weirdly towards his brother. But then their conversation from earlier clicked and he instantly shrugs, playing it off.

"Maybe it's just the time of the month? Give her some space, but not too much." He shrugs again. He then pats his brother on the back. "I'll meet you at the Carnival."

"You aren't riding with me?" Nate questions. Slightly offended.

Matthew shakes his head. "No, I promised Rue that I'd pick her up," he says. "Anyway, I might be a little late to the cook-off but just cover for me." he grabs a jacket and throws it on.