52

Please Enjoy this mini chapter while you await chapter 53 ;)

2015

Jealousy was something Natasha was not familiar with. She had felt the burning sensation of envy before. When she was younger, she'd feel jealous of girls and boys who had families that loved them and homes that represented safety. She'd first felt jealousy over the attentions of a man when Sharon had been drooling over Steve. Natasha, and much to her own begrudgement even encouraged it a relationship between them and she'd never admit that she thanked God when it didn't work out. Now her jealousy was pointed directly at Steve and it had more than a little to do with the admiration and attention of the two smaller, blond teenagers that were staring up at him as if he'd hung the moon. Everyone always liked Steve, and for perhaps the first time, it truly bothered her.

Despite her envy, she didn't begrudge Steve or even the children. Logic told her that it was...well...logical. Sarah and James had gotten at least a decade with their mother. They had enjoyed much less with a father. Steve to them was a wonderful oddity. Someone they were desperate to soak up before he disappeared once more. And Natasha...well she didn't even like kids usually. So why did she want them to look at her with the same worshipping, green eyes that they had inherited from her, in the same way they worshipped Steve?

The man in question, lifted his head and met her gaze with sky blue eyes and smiled at her from across the room. The golden hour sun rays glanced off him, alighting his short fair hair into a halo. Funnily enough, the burn of jealousy was extinguished on the spot and she couldn't help the small smile that wanted to return to him.

Noticing their father's diverted attention,the children turned and seeing her, their faces lit up. "Mom!" James called, standing to his feet and running towards her. "Come on! Dad said he's going to teach us how to sled!"

"You're just in time," Steve said as their son dragged her over. "Feeling any better?" The reminder caused her to gingerly touch her head. The ache was just one of the few spread out over her body.

"I'm alive, awake, and walking." Was her deadpan answer. He gave her a sympathetic smile before she changed the subject, pointing to the red, white, and blue shield that was wedged vertically in the snow. "I take it that this is the''sled ''?''

His large shoulders offered her an awkward shrug. "It worked well enough for us on that freeway."

Natasha blinked up at him before age burst into laughter at a sudden realization. "That was the closest thing you've ever done to sledding. Wasn't it?" He turned a slight shade of pink.

"Well since you're our resident expert, why don't you show us how it's done." He picked up the shield and easily tossed it to her. She caught it with just a little protest from her bruised rib.

She smiled. "James." The boy looked expectantly at her as she placed the shield star down on the snowy slope and sat down in the front. She patted the space behind her. "Come on. It's easier to show you rather than tell." He smiled at her.

"And you need someone to help you back up the hill," he perceived. She glared as he sat down behind her.

"For that you'll be carrying me. Put your legs at my side and hold on tight. " As soon as she felt him settle, she kicked her legs out to move them forward and then they were off. Her legs folded up inside the sled, James screaming as they flew down the hillside and before she knew it they were being thrown off as they went over a large mound. Landing face first in the icy powder. The fall agitated her sore muscles but the joyous sound of her son's laughter made up for it completely. It was Steve who pulled her out of the snow. Amazingly he'd made it down the hill before she'd caught her breath. Then James was there and Sarah, laughing with their Dad and brushing the snow out of her hair and clothes.