Chapter Twenty-One

In the first few moments of the kiss, Tatiana worried about her inexperience. She worried that her technique (or lack thereof) would bore someone who had as many conquests as Aubrey Graham. It didn't take long for him to demonstrate that he was more than capable of guiding her through the kiss. He kissed her slowly, giving her a chance to follow his lead.

    The kiss was gentle. It was sweet. Instead of rushing through it, propelled by passion, they took their time with each other. He caressed her lips with his while keeping his arm around her. With his other hand, he brushed strands of her hair back from her face. He made low groaning sounds that came from the base of his throat. They were sounds she'd never heard before, sounds that thrilled her.

    When they pulled away from each other, it took time for her to catch her breath. She stared at him wide-eyed, finding it hard to believe that the kiss had even happened. With her eyes locked on his, she raised a hand and touched her fingertips to her lips.

    "Did I overstep my bounds?" he asked her.

    "Kind of," she said breathlessly, lowering her hand.

    A disappointed look crossed his face and he lowered his eyes.

    "But I kind of want you to overstep your bounds again," she told him.

    He lifted his eyes and didn't hesitate before grabbing her face in his hands and kissing her again.

    She covered his hands with hers and kissed him back with everything she had. In the back of her mind there were thoughts about how wrong this was. The plan was to wait before engaging in anything romantic with him. After all, he was her professor. Engaging in anything remotely sexual while he was in a position of authority would taint the teacher/student relationship that they should be forming. She kept those thoughts at the back of her mind; at the forefront of her mind were the happy thoughts. At the forefront of her mind, she thought about how she'd never experienced a kiss as exciting as this one, regardless of how right or wrong it was. She thought about how it felt like every single cell in her body was tingling with anticipation of what his lips or tongue would do next. She nearly squealed in delight when his tongue grazes across her bottom lip, nearly pouted in despair when he pulled back.

    His hands remained on her face for a few seconds longer as he stared into her eyes. "Can I tell you something?"

    "You can tell me anything," she said dreamily. Get a hold of yourself, Tatiana. You're starting to sound like a groupie.

    He flashed her a grin so wide and bright that it made sounding like a groupie completely worthwhile. "Ever since I met you, I've...been impulsive. There are moves that I've made with you that weren't the smartest. Moves that were risky. When I get around you, it's hard for me to think clearly sometimes." He paused and corrected himself. "It's hard for me to think most of the time, when I'm around you. But you've managed to keep a level head throughout all of this. You took into consideration what the consequences could be for me, if we were caught. Instead of just going along with whatever I wanted, you stood up and told me what I should do as a man and as your teacher."

    She lowered her eyes to the ground.

    "Being who I am...I have been around yes-men, people who just agree with whatever I say because they think their career or livelihood depends on it. Only the crew I keep close to me, and a few other people in my life have been brutally honest with me." His brows drew together and he ran a hand over his head. "I guess what I'm trying to say is I appreciate you for that. I appreciate you for being honest and for telling me how you feel. No, more than that. I respect you for it. I respect you for wanting to do this the right way." With those words, he leaned forward and kissed her forehead. "And now, if I'm a gentleman, I should take you home."

    "Taking me home is probably the last thing you should do," she advised, glancing around to see if anyone was loitering around. "My dorm isn't far from here."

    "I don't want you walking on your own this late at night," he said worriedly.

    She smiled and rose on her tiptoes. It was a stretch, but she was just barely able to kiss his forehead. "I appreciate you, for worrying about me," she said, borrowing his sentiment.

    He chuckled and ducked his head down. "I guess this is goodnight, then?"

    "This is goodnight," she affirmed. "And I'll see you in class, Mr. Graham."

    He grimaced at the formal title.

    She poked him in the chest. "You're going to have to get used to me calling you that," she told him.

    "I don't know if I can," he admitted. "It sounds weird, coming from you."

    "That's only because you nearly sucked my face off just now," she said. "It'll get easier over time. I promise."

    He laughed. "Goodnight, Tatiana. I mean...goodnight, Ms. Wallace."

    She rolled her eyes and turned her back to him. Even once several yards were between them, she could still feel his eyes on her.

    "Goodnight, Tatiana," she heard him say, faintly.

    She smiled and continued walking in the direction of her dormitory. "Goodnight, Aubrey," she whispered, clasping her hands together in front of herself.