Chapter Twenty-Nine

After Tatiana locked the door, she turned off the lights in the lecture hall. Her steps toward Aubrey were slow. All of the moments she'd shared with him up to this point played on a reel at the back of her mind. The kisses, the tender touches, the banter. Last night, she'd wrestled with her own thoughts on her situation with him. Ever since she'd discovered who he was, she had straddled the line separating right and wrong. He'd straddled that very same line, along with her. Whereas she'd attempted to make sure she remained on the side of being right, he hadn't shown much shame in stepping onto the wrong side.

    Kenya was right, Tatiana thought now as she moved to stand in front of Aubrey. Life is short. And we only get one. When I look back on my life, do I want to look back and say that I did everything the right way? Or that I have no regrets regarding the choices that I've made? I would hate to leave this world not knowing what it's like to be with him. I would regret not knowing what it's like to be with him. I'd hate having to live with a regret as immense as that one. Wordlessly, she dropped her backpack to the floor. It hit the wood floor with a loud thud that bounced off of the walls in the room.

    He stared up at her, just as quiet as she was. Matching the pace of her slow, deliberate movements, he stood from his chair. "How are you doing today, friend?"

    A corner of her mouth lifted. "I've had better days."

    "What's troubling you?"

     "I can't go a week without kissing you."

    His eyebrows shot up.

    "And don't call me 'friend,'" she said as she gently kicked his chair so that it rolled a few inches away from them.

    "Then what should I call you?" he asked, his voice lowering.

    "Yours," she said, pushing him back against the desk.

    His lips glistened in the small amount of light filtering in from the narrow window in the classroom door.

    Eager to feel the on hers, she grabbed his face and pulled it down towards hers so she could kiss him.

    "Mmm," he murmured against her lips, a sound that mingled shock and pleasure. His arm went around her waist.

    She untucked his shirt from his slacks and pressed her hands against his abdomen.

    "You're not ready for this," he said in between kisses.

    "Don't tell me what I'm ready for," she said back.

    "Are you saying I'm wrong?" he asked, pulling back and staring down at her.

    The intensity in his eyes alarmed her, but she held her ground. "Yes," she said finally. "I'm saying you're wrong."

    His other arm snaked around her. He easily lifted her up and spun her around, sitting her on the edge of his desk.

    Her eyes widened and she gasped, disoriented by the sudden movement.

    He stood in between her thighs, fingering the material of her floral print skirt. "Your mother bought this for you." It was a statement, and not a question.

    She nodded.

    "I wonder if she knew all of the bad things you would end up doing in this cute little skirt," he mused, sliding the skirt up her thighs.

    Her heartbeat pounded in her chest. There had been a power shift. When she'd locked the door and walked over to him, she'd been the one with the power. But at some point, Aubrey had taken over and now he had the upper hand. Now that he was standing in between her thighs, she felt helpless. She had planned to act on her impulses instead of attempting to be Miss Goody Two Shoes. A part of that plan had included seducing Mr. Aubrey Graham, but executing a seduction wasn't quite as easy as it looked on television or in the movies. Her thighs trembled around him, and her fingers burned where they came into contact with his warm skin.