Chapter 1 - Reunion

Chapter 1*

Xinghe University Hospital—Cardiothoracic Surgery Department Head Doctor's Office.

Qu Chu and Xie Qianyu stared at each other in silence, neither of them opening their mouths, even the air seemed to be filled with something indefinable.

Two of them, one was sitting at his desk in a white coat, his stethoscope still in his hand, not having had time to put it down. The other had just stepped into the room, and was wearing a chief pilot's uniform that he hadn't had time to take off when he got off the plane.

It's been almost eight years since they graduated from high school. Compared to high school, both of them have changed a lot. The time has washed away the youthfulness of the teenagers, their faces have lost some baby fat, and their bodies have grown taller. At first glance, they look like grown men that you wouldn't forget if you looked at them in a crowd.

Especially Qu Chu, whose face used to be a little round with a little baby fat. Now the angles are much sharper, and the facial features rushed towards the "knife-cut perfection" mentioned in novels, and his temperament is even colder.

But those peach blossom eyes are still so seductive.

Xie Qianyu's Adam's apple rolled subconsciously.

It's been a little over half a year since Qu Chu returned to China. He didn't expect that the first person he met after returning to China would be Xie Qianyu, with whom he had been at odds in high school. For a while, he felt that life was a bit dramatic.

However, what is more dramatic is that Qu Chu only then noticed that there was a woman standing next to Xie Qianyu. Originally, not to mention a woman, even if there was a row of dogs standing, Doctor Qu would not even blink his eyelids.

But this is the woman who knew—is his father's first love. Who was responsible for his parents' divorce, and the trigger[1] that indirectly caused his mother's death at a young age.

TN: [1] fuse ~ is used here as the "trigger".

But then the trigger spoke up, and she asked Xie Qianyu: "You know each other?"

With the sound of 'ripping', the subtle silence between the two was easily cut through.

The memories of high school flooded into Xie Qianyu's mind like a tidal wave, and it permeated far and wide. The things that he did when he was young and frivolous, the words he said, the fights he fought, the self-criticisms he wrote, and the heart that throbbed because of whom... Eight years later, it is as clear as if it happened yesterday.

Xie Qianyu was the first to speak: "It's not just that we know each other, we are old acquaintances. Isn't that right, Dr. Qu?"

Qu Chu's eyes narrowed and he didn't say anything.

Xie Qianyu: "We have fought with each other, talking harshly to each other, squatted together in the class teacher's office to write a self-criticism. Where can you describe it simply as 'knowing', huh?"

Qu Chu lifted his eyelids and looked at him indifferently, still did not say anything.

Xie Qianyu continued: "But there was no point in writing a letter of repentance, it is still the same after that... Oh, by the way, who did we chase after together... Qin Lulu, right?"