𝟬𝟬𝟰. coming back home

gone girl.
━━━ chapter four

Throughout the journey, Amaryllis and Percy barely talked to each other. It wasn't awkward though – both of them realised the other needed some time to process their thoughts and feelings.

It must have been hours before the raft finally brought them in the beach of Camp Half Blood. Percy helped her step out of the raft like the gentleman he was and he blushed when Amaryllis chuckled at his gesture.

She was still wearing the white sleeveless chiton and the flower crown she always wore in Ogygia. She felt pretty stupid, but despite her protests, Percy told her she could change later. As they walked in the Camp, Amaryllis felt pretty emotional. Not much had changed, in fact it was just like she remembered it. She hadn't noticed it was empty until Percy mentioned it, but when they saw smoke rising from the amphitheatre, he grabbed her hand and started running towards it.

They stopped in their tracks when they heard Chiron's voice. Once they realised what he was saying, they looked at each other in horror.

They were just about to interrupt Percy's funeral.

They came back on the theatre and since they were all looking forward, no one noticed them. Amaryllis understood how intense the situation was, however she couldn't help but stifle a laugh. The situation seemed to be so ridiculous, like a scene from a sitcom from the 80s.

She stopped laughing when Percy squeezed her hand, nodding at the direction of a blonde girl who was burning his shroud. She'd recognize Annabeth everywhere, even if she looked terrible. It seemed like Percy's supposed death had wrecked her. She was about to make a speech, when she finally noticed the two demigods.

"He's right there!"

A bunch of other kids crowded around them and clapped Percy on the back, ignoring Amaryllis completely. Some were looking at her suspiciously, like they were trying to guess if she was about to start murdering people on the spot. Others were whistling at the fact that Percy's hand was still holding hers – when she realised it, she immediately let it go, her cheeks burning from embarrassment.

Chiron cantered over and everyone made way for him. He was still looking the same, even after four years. She hoped that he'd immediately recognize her, but his focus was on Percy as well.

"Well, I don’t believe I’ve ever been happier to see a camper return," he said with a smile and only then did he finally notice the girl, who had taken some steps back to give space to all the campers who were giving high fives and hugging Percy. "Hello, dear. Percy, won't you introduce your friend?"

Before he could open his mouth to speak, he was interrupted by Annabeth, who had shoved her way through the rest of the campers. "Where have you been?!" she yelled at Percy and hugged him tightly.

"I'm sorry. I, uh, got lost," he cheekily replied and Amaryllis rolled her eyes.

"Lost? Two weeks, Percy? Where in the world-"

"Annabeth," Chiron interrupted her and she finally realised she was making a scene. By that point, everyone had forgotten about how happy they were to see Percy and just stared at Amaryllis with curiosity.

She took a breath to calm her nerves, before taking a step forward and waving awkwardly with an equally awkward smile. "Hi. I'm Amaryllis Kalomiri and I'm alive. Surprise!"