𝟬𝟭𝟮. august in blue

gone girl.
━━━ chapter twelve

She woke up in an unfamiliar room, to the sound of traffic. Looking around her, she noticed blue walls, posters from alternative rock bands she didn't know and a messy bed in which she woke up on. It looked like your average teenager boy's room and when she finally regained some sense of reality, Amaryllis realised she must have been at Percy's house.

She remembered everything that lead up to that point. Their interaction with Hera, the visit at her mother's house and the reveal that she didn't remember her at all. She didn't remember anything else besides that, but it was enough to make her instantly tear up.

"Percy?" she croaked, just to find out her throat was sore. Now panicked, she yelled his name again but when she didn't get an answer, she got out of the bed and made her way out of the bedroom to the living room.

Her feet clapped against the tiles as she followed the sound of something cooking. When she got to the kitchen, she found Percy struggling with a pan. He didn't even notice her, because he was trying to get a thing that looked like blue pancakes out of the pan.

"Percy."

He turned to see her and his first reaction was a sigh of relief. "You're finally awake. I was beginning to get nervous."

"And pancakes are your coping mechanism?"

"Don't doubt the power of good food," he said as he finally got the rest of the pancakes in the big plate on the counter. He shrugged. "Well. Semi-good food."

He lead her to the kitchen table, where the plates were already set and they sat across each other. Amaryllis caught him staring at her worryingly, which only confirmed things had gone incredibly wrong. "How long have I been blacked out?" she asked.

"A few hours. I didn't know what to do so I brought you here."

"And your mom..?"

"Uh, she's at work, don't worry." He took a few pancakes and brought them to her plate, signalling her to eat but Amaryllis didn't feel like eating anything at that point. She was still dizzy, like when one feels when they go out while they have a fever.

Suddenly Percy's face turned serious. "What do you remember, Mar?"

She felt tears blurring her vision once again, but tried her best to not let them fall out. She didn't want to cry in front of him, she didn't want to feel weak anymore, but it was hard not to cry when she remembered her mother's blank expression when she looked at her.

"That my mom and my godfather don't remember me, at all." She tried to keep her voice steady, emotionless, but it still came off shaking. "That's it. I don't remember how I ended up unconscious... or here."

"So you don't remember...?"

She looked at Percy with furrowed brows. "What? There's more?"

"No, nothing. I was just- nevermind."

The dark skinned boy seemed to want to say more, but instead he took a big bite of his food. "I-I'm sorry, by the way," Amaryllis said. She wasn't sure why, but she felt the need to apologise for everything.