𝟬𝟮𝟭. the mortal point

gone girl.
━━━ chapter twenty one

She stood in front of the River Styx feeling empty inside.

Her father had broken their deal, imprisoning her best friend forever and now she had to bathe in the River, which was much more dangerous than it sounded. She could potentially die if it wasn't done right, if she wasn't strong enough to take it. But at that point... she simply didn't care. She'd die sooner or later anyway.

The River Styx's current swirled with strange objects — broken toys, ripped-up college diplomas, wilted homecoming corsages — all the dreams people had thrown away as they'd passed from life into death. Looking at the black water, she could think of about three million places she'd rather swim.

Hades was behind her, waiting. She hadn't talked to him ever since he found that loophole in their agreement and tricked her. "Leave," she told him. "I don't want you here while I'm doing it."

"But if anything happens—"

"You have a Plan B, don't you?" Amaryllis snapped.

She knew all about the process anyways, so she didn't need him around. It would only remind her how angry she was and it'd be distracting. Hades' expression seemed guilty for a moment, which was strange by itself and then it shifted back to the normal scowl he always seemed to have.

"If you're sure..." he said. Before he dissolved into shadows, he whispered, "Don't be afraid, daughter", as if that was supposed to give her courage.

Amaryllis wasn't alone for more than seconds. Soon, the ghost of a man appeared out of nowhere, next to her. He was tall and buff, with a cruel scarred face and closely shaved black hair. He wore a white tunic and bronze armor, a plumed war helm under his arm. A bloody arrow stuck out of his left calf, just above the ankle.

"Achilles," she greeted him.

The ghost nodded. "I warned the other one not to follow my path." Luke, she thought. "Now I will warn you. Do not do this. It will make you powerful. But it will also make you weak. Your prowess in combat will be beyond any mortal's, but your weaknesses, your failings will increase as well."

"Yeah, I know," she told him. "And trust me, I don't want to do this, but I have to."

Achilles lowered his head. "Let the gods witness I tried. Hero, if you must do this, concentrate on your mortal point. Imagine one spot of your body that will remain vulnerable. This is the point where your soul will anchor your body to the world. It will be your greatest weakness, but also your only hope. No man may be completely invulnerable. Lose sight of what keeps you mortal, and the River Styx will burn you to ashes. You will cease to exist."

"Sounds delightful," she said sarcastically as Achilles' ghost vanished.

Mortal point. She didn't think much of it. Considering armor would be covering it well, she chose the place where her heart was, in front of her chest and slightly left to her sternum. It would be a small spot, so she probably had nothing to worry about. There was no place in someone's body more mortal than a human's heart.

Amaryllis pictured a string, a bungee cord connecting her to the world from the mortal point she imagined and she stepped into the river.