𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 14

Encanto, Colombia
1949

"Good morning, Elena, not much sleep? You still look quite tired.." Julieta asked as Elena entered the kitchen with tired eyes but nodded with a soft smile. Bruno walked passed and kissed Elena on the cheek, his hair pulled back into a ponytail she did for him that morning as Julieta called for him. "Good morning to you too, are you not going to eat?" He turned round to her and shook his head. "Sorry, morning. Uhm, I'm okay this morning but it looks delicious sister, great job!" And with that, he was off. "I've never seen him like that, what happened?" She asked as she wiped her hands on her apron and looked over to a worried Elena. "I'm worried for him, he was torn to shreds last night. Another vision, I suppose, he didn't tell me much. Actually he told me lots, I just couldn't understand the poor fellow, he stuttered on every word that escaped his chattering mouth...ay, my poor Bruno..." Elena crossed her arms and held her chin. "He wants to be able to do something, help around, use his gift, but when he does, it just tears him apart, I can't stand to watch it!" Elena slapped her hand onto the countertop, the sudden noise causing Julieta to jump slightly. She apologized.

Julieta understood her worry and nodded as she walked up to her and looked at her hand. "You'll be fine but don't worry about it that much, I know you're worried he'll leave again, but he won't. I know it" she comforted as Elena sighed and smiled softly. "Come on, breakfast is ready. Do you mind calling everyone to the table?"

The town square was the same as always, ever busy and Elena didn't have much to do. She didn't have the energy to paint or entertain that day so she merely just sat with Julieta and handed out food to anyone who needed her healing recipe. She even nibbled on a few pastries here and there, just to taste how delicious her friends cooking was. She was about to take another bite when she felt a tug at her skirt and she immediately looked down to a tiny human, the same little girl. She looked hungry, her eyes looking up to Elena and then to the pastry in her hand. She smiled and bent down to the little girls level and handed her to food. "Well hello again, little one. Here, think you'd like this more then me" the girl smiled kindly at her as she took a small bite and immediately lit up, her smile growing wider. Elena smiled back. "What's your name, little one?" The little girl swallowed her food and replied shyly. "Carina..." she smiled. "That's a beautiful name. My name is Elena, it's wonderful to meet you" she let the little girl grab her hand to shake. She looked to the girls hair, which was a curly mess, and smiled as she looked back to Carina's gaze, her eyes a beautiful dark brown, glowing as the suns rays hit them just right. "Would you like me to do you hair, querida?" She asked as a twinkle shone in Carinas eyes and she nodded her head eagerly. "Come on then!"

On the ground the girls sat, Elena behind the younger girl as she brushed and fixed her curly hair, being careful as not to pull and hurt her. Though she did Bruno's hair quite often, Carina's hair was proving a little difficult for her to work with but she pulled through and managed to pull her hair back into a pretty low bun, some hair still poking out and curling around her face. She felt the bun in the back of her head and smiled, turning around and hugging Elena. "Thank you, señora!" She thanked as Elena smiled and watched the little girl twirl around happily. "You're very welcome, querida! How's about we find your parents to show them, hm?" She stood up and reached her hand out to Carina, who happily took hold of it and they walked around, looking for her father or mother. Although they asked so many people, no one seemed to know the child, and Elena was beginning to feel worrisome as Carina just didn't pay mind.

"You know Elena, that girl has been wandering for quite some time now, haven't seen any adults in her company besides you. People are beginning to suspect she may have been....you know..." an older man confronted her as her facial expression changed and she looked down to Carina who still didn't have a care in the world for the situation she was in. Elena sighed and bent down to Carina's level. "Carina, querida, I need you to tell me where your mommy and daddy are, can you do that for me?" She asked as Carina looked about and shrugged, looking back to Elena who sighed again. "Okay sweetheart, how about you stay with me until we can find your parents, does that sound good?" She asked as Carina smiled softly and nodded her head, she seemed to like that idea quite a lot. "Okay! Now, how about you go get some more food and I'll catch up after talking to this sweet man, sound good?" Carina nodded and began running over to where Julieta was as Elena turned back to the older gentleman. "So, she's been on her own? For how long?" He merely just shrugged at her question. "Don't know, she's been here for a few days at least, maybe a week now. I've seen a few people try to talk to her but she just doesn't speak, think you're the only person she's spoken to since being here." Elena frowned at the thought of her being alone for so long and looked over to the far off stand of for Julieta prepared and saw Carina snacking on something. "Hm, I'll take care of her then. Maybe her parents will show up eventually...thank you." She began walking to the direction of the stand.