Prologue

The sky was dim, even though it was day time. Gray clouds, thick and dark, covered the sky endlessly, hinting that a storm was soon to come. The trees rattled endlessly, and the forest ground trembled.

A young warrior observed the scenery with a small hint of fear, but he forced himself to be brave. The winds whipped at his fur the wrong way, messing it up, and it beat against his eyes making them sting. His paws felt uncomfortable in the damp dirt of the forest ground, but he ignored it and forced himself to trudge through the wind, pushing through its heavy force.

He heard his littermate call to him from up ahead. "Hey, Brackenheart!" His voice was faintly heard, but Brackenheart understood.

Brackenheart looked around until he spotted his brother padding toward him. "What is it, Sparrowleaf?" he asked worriedly. "Did something happen?" Brackenheart found it hard to look at his brother through all of the winds, but he forced himself to be strong.

"You're what's wrong!" Sparrowleaf growled. "You've got to hurry, or they'll find us, Brackenheart. You don't want that to happen to us, do you?"

"Of course not!" Brackenheart wasn't sure he meant what he had said. After all, they were leaving their Clan. Leaving the Clan was a big deal for two cats to go out alone, but both toms couldn't stay in ThunderClan anymore. And especially in this storm---it was not making anything easier for Brackenheart and his brother.

Sparrowleaf beckoned forward. "Let's find shelter!" he yowled over the wind. "It's too dangerous!"

Brackenheart didn't need to respond. Immediately, he began to look around, anxious for a place to shelter from the wind. Perhaps an abandoned den, or a cave hidden in the undergrowth? There was nothing of the sort around. He followed his brother, keeping a close eye out just in case he spotted a good hiding place.

Tree, pits, places that aren't good, Brackenheart thought with dismay. Is there no place for us to shelter? Fear crept into his heart. What if they die in this dreadful storm?

Suddenly, heavy rain began to fall, beating down hard and uncomfortably onto Brackenheart's back, making him growl to himself with annoyance. Could the winds have already gotten any worse? He felt guilty for some reason. What if StarClan was mad at Brackenheart and Sparrowleaf for leaving their Clan to live on their own, and brewed this storm as an expression of their rage?

"Come on!" Sparrowleaf called, taking off ahead of him.

Brackenheart immediately burst from his spot, chasing after his brother into the forest, getting closer and closer to the edge of the territory. This is it . . . I won't be returning back to ThunderClan, will I? Brackenheart thought. Of course I won't be. Why would such a noble Clan want to keep a traitor like me around?

His paws pounded faster, weaving through familiar tree branches with such grace and ability as if he had lived here for endless moons. Brackenheart leaped right over a bush, while Sparrowleaf scrambled under, and the two continued to pelt towards the territory borders. They were so close to leaving the territory for good. They won't be back. Not ever. The ache had filled into Brackenheart's belly, but he had to ignore it. It was his decision; it was his destiny to leave the Clans. Not even StarClan alone can change the way of choice for living cats.

Finally, they pelted over the borders, not taking a second glance back, and began running as fast as they could, farther and farther away from ThunderClan, and closer and closer to unfamiliar territory.

It felt as if a heavy rock had been dropped down Brackenheart's belly. Fear of this new territory crept into his heart, and the longing for his old territory made his legs feel weak.

* * *

Brackenheart yawned with exhaustion, curling up in his nest. Earlier, Sparrowleaf had found this cave for them to temporarily rest during the storm. It was surprise that he was actually comfortable. Moss lined Brackenheart's nest, as well as feathers and leaves and small sticks.

"I've never felt so great in my life," sighed Sparrowleaf as he plopped onto his own makeshift nest.

"Does your nest feel that good?" Brackenheart asked, opening one eye to get a good look at his brother.

Sparrowleaf shook his head. "No, I feel at ease. No Clan to look over my back, and no leaders to boss me around. I feel as if I was a whole different cat the moment we'd crossed the borders." Pride shone into his brother's eyes. "I got us here, didn't I? We'll have the life we always wanted."

Brackenheart shrugged and nodded. "Yeah, we will." He looked hopefully at Sparrowleaf. "Won't you miss our Clan?" he blurted out.

Sparrowleaf looked at him pointedly. "You don't mean you miss living in that cramped space, do you?" asked the brown and black tom. "We left for a reason, and now that we're living out here we won't have time to worry about them anymore."

"You're right," Brackenheart murmured, looking down to his paws. He knew deep down that Sparrowheart was truly happy about leaving. There was nothing he could say about his brother's feelings, or his convincing that this new life will be better. The reason they left, after all, was for the things he did that he couldn't face his Clan for.

"Why don't we sleep?" suggested Sparrowleaf. "We are going to have a long day tomorrow. We can't live in this cave forever; too close to WindClan and ThunderClan."

"I'll see you when I wake up," agreed Brackenheart, yawning. He rest his head on his nest, and closed his eyes. Soon, sleep engulfed him and his world became dark.

-------

Hi guys, it was Lightning writing! I just wanted to fill in with a plan all of us admins will try to stick to on updating this book. I was thinking that we have to update it sometime every week so the chapter rate can be regular and the story can be interesting. I hope you like this book!!

~~Lightning