Chapter Two

It's still Lightning writing c: I'm getting a head start before the others can write, so don't worry.

~~Lightning

--

The wind and water whipped at Lightningkit's fur as she stood over the river, staring at her reflection. A shadow cast over the water that quickly passed by, weaving through small pebbles and stones, and tiny silvery fish darted from their spots, frightened. She put both of her forepaws in the water, watching it gently lap by on her paws, getting her fur wet.

Lightningkit loved that feeling. She enjoyed the water against the hot green-leaf air. Soon, though, when she was made an apprentice, she would have that advantage. After all, she thought, my apprentice ceremony is coming up so soon! I wonder when Stonestar is going to make me one already?

She kept staring down at her reflection, and within the water, she saw two figures creeping by. Her denmates, Moonkit and Whitekit, were stalking her. They didn't have any idea that she was watching.

Suddenly, Moonkit leaped right onto her back, and she dodged him, rolling over with him in her grasp. "I caught you!" she squeaked. "You'll never beat my lightning fast reflexes!"

"We'll see about that!" yowled Whitekit, leaping at Lightningkit. Both of them were obviously against her. She struggled hard, trying to kick them off for freedom, but it wouldn't work with the both of them trying to pin her down at once. She struggled and tried to swipe at them until Moonkit let go. Whitekit did not give up.

"Take this!" Whitekit said, biting down on Lightningkit's tail.

"Ouch!" yowled Lightningkit, finally managing to struggle free. "That hurt!" She leaped onto Whitekit's back.

"You can never pin me!" Whitekit said triumphantly.

She grunted with effort. "Yes I can!" Lightningkit was getting frustrated. She was too small to get Whitekit to fall to the ground no matter how hard she struggled, and the more she tried, the more Whitekit resisted.

Whitekit grunted and threw Lightningkit off of her back. "I did it!" the white she-cat said with triumph.

Lightningkit scoffed. "Next time, I'll get you!" she challenged.

"That is if you can," Moonkit taunted playfully.

Lightningkit sighed to herself. She was never able to pin down either Whitekit or Moonkit herself. She was a runt; never able to do anything the others could do. Even though she was the deputy's only kit and was suppose to be tall and strong like him, she wasn't. She must of taken after her mother, Sproutheart, who died of greencough two moons after Lightningkit was born. Or maybe she didn't take after Sproutheart at all and she was different and weird.

"I'll get you some day," Lightningkit murmured to herself. "I know it."

"Watch out Lightnintkit!" yowled Moonkit while running over to her, but he was too late.

A bird swooped down from the sky, and shoved her into right into the water. Lightningkit gave a yelp before she went under the surface, and she gasped for air but water was the only thing that came in. Fear filled into her belly. All around her, the water filled into her eyes, ears, nose, mouth and dampened her thick and long fur.

She kicked her way to the surface and coughed. "Whitekit! Moonkit!" she yelped. "Help!" Then, she went under the water again. The water engulfed her and her eyes were wide against the cold. She couldn't breathe, and she didn't know how to swim yet! She could see Moonkit reaching for her, and Whitekit's worried expression through the rippling water.