Chapter Three

Still Lightning writing!

_______________

A molted brown she-cat padded silently through the undergrowth. Her fur rippled brilliantly against her toned muscles under her thin pelt. The mouse she was after was still not aware of the predator that was stalking it. She waited for the right moment, staring at the plump mouse. She would leap at it at the perfect moment!

Suddenly, her hunt was ruined. "Blazepaw!" yowled her Clanmate, interrupting her chance. The mouse instantly scuffled into the undergrowth with a squeal. Annoyed, Blazepaw turned, and shot at a look at the cat who called her. It was Shadepaw, her best friend.

"You scared it off!" Blazepaw groaned. "I was just about to catch that mouse . . ."

"You would of caught it if you didn't over-analyze the situation," said Shadepaw. "All you've got to do is leap and kill."

Blazepaw shook her head. "It's not as easy as that. I was so close," she added, trying her best to make her friend feel guilty.

Shadepaw didn't even look taken back. The black she-cat's unusual orange eyes met Blazepaw's own eyes. "We've found two WindClan apprentices in the stream. Your mentor was calling; he thought it might be urgent."

Blazepaw growled. "Filthy WindClan cats, thinking they can trespass into our territory whenever they want!" she said with annoyance. Blazepaw had never had a battle in her life; times were peaceful between the Clans. However, she had been in a border skirmish with WindClan before a moon ago. She had a feeling that they would trespass again, considering the fact that they enjoy stealing prey.

She abandoned her spot and found the patrol which consisted of her mentor Mouse-ear, Oakfoot, Hawkfire---a young tom who had been made into a warrior three dawns ago---and last, Shadepaw's mentor, Sootheart. The two WindClan apprentices looked helpless and uncomfortable as they nervously watched the ThunderClan patrol scoop them up out of the water.

"Why have you two crossed our borders?" growled Mouse-ear, the patrol leader.

Blazepaw took her place beside him, and gave a look of challenge to the two brown tabby toms. They looked so young and small---or perhaps that was how all WindClan cats looked like. They were thin cats, after all.

"We didn't cross your territory," growled one of them. His fur was lighter than the other apprentice's, and his eyes were more hostile. "We just fell into the stream."

"That counts as crossing into our territory," growled Shadepaw. "Two scrawny things like you should watch where you're going."

"And you should watch what you're saying!" the WindClan apprentice retorted.

Sootheart stood taller. "Shadepaw, watch your mouth. Let Mouse-ear handle this with no interruptions." The ginger she-cat kept her gaze on Shadepaw, giving her apprentice a warning glance. Shapepaw just shut her mouth, but her eyes were locked onto the rude apprentice.

"What are you two doing so far from your camp?" Mouse-ear asked, looking between both of them. "You don't look like you've been training for over a moon!"

"Stop judging us!" snapped the apprentice.

The second WindClan apprentice who had been quiet up to this point put his tail at his friend's mouth. "Let me handle this, Hawkpaw," the tom meowed. Blazepaw felt slightly amused. Hawkfire and Hawkpaw both share a name. She looked between them both, but they obviously didn't seem to care.

Hawkpaw was staring at his friend with disbelief. "ThunderClan is nothing but rude, Tigerpaw---"

"We didn't mean falling into the stream," said Tigerpaw, dipping his head apologetically. "But I don't think that we should be treated like we trespassed on your territory on purpose. The stream belongs to both WindClan and ThunderClan. Not just ThunderClan."