Chapter One

Hi guys, this is Lightning starting off the book here with our first character! I hope you all like it, and don't forget that even though this is my project all (or most) of the admins are contributing to it! Look forward to when they post chapters, too! :3

~~Lightning

-------

The wind whipped at Tigerpaw's fur as he stood over the moor, taking in the greenleaf scents around him. He could scent a rabbit scuffling out of it's burrow, hungry for food. Immediately, Tigerpaw crouched down, and eyed the rabbit hole watchfully as the rabbit climbed out of the safety of it's home. Excitement rippled through Tigerpaw. If he can manage to catch this, it'll be his first rabbit yet. Maybe his Clanmates would respect him if he brought this prey home as fresh-kill?

The plump rabbit sniffed at the grass while Tigerpaw crouched within the ferns. Cautiously, he watched, waiting for the right moment. As soon as that rabbit has its back turned, it won't know what was coming! he thought with excitement.

His prey, which was oblivious to the fact that it was being watched, turned away trying to find more food to eat. Feeling that this was the right time, Tigerpaw dashed from his spot, and pounced. The rabbit heard him though, and raced away.

"Mouse-dung!" Tigerpaw spat. He ran after it, kicking away dirt behind him. His legs outstretched into long strides, and his tail balanced out behind him. Running as fast as he could, Tigerpaw hurled himself at the rabbit, grabbing on to it with his claws. It was no use, for the rabbit escaped his grasp before he could release a killing bite.

The rabbit sped away again, pushing itself to run faster. Again, Tigerpaw chased after it, pushing himself to run faster as well. He knew that his prey was swift, but it wasn't swifter than Tigerpaw! One last time, he began to run in long strides, already getting out of breath. He was tired from the other two chases, but he could not give up.

Suddenly, though, another cat leaped from a hill, and tumbled right into the rabbit. Hawkpaw! His denmate bent down, and killed the rabbit with a bite on the neck.

"Hey!" yowled Tigerpaw, his fur sticking up. "That was my prey! I found it first!"

Hawkpaw sneered. "It's not yours, I caught it!"

"I was chasing it, if you hadn't noticed. That was so unfair, I was so close!"

Tigerpaw was raging with fury. He was so eager to catch that prey, and was only a rabbit-hop away from it. He could have gotten it if Hawkpaw wasn't there.

Hawkpaw took the rabbit's scruff into his mouth. "You were close, but not close enough. I caught it, I'm the one to bring it home." His chest puffed out with pride.

Tigerpaw sighed, knowing that there was nothing he could do about it. If Hawkpaw been the one who was pursing the rabbit, and Tigerpaw be the one lying in wait to catch it, he would want to call it his own for killing it. "Whatever," he mumbled, padding up ahead. "I'll catch one next time, you'll see."

A mrrow of amusement sounded right behind the two apprentices. "You both keep getting your tails in a twist with each other," Sunheart, Tigerpaw's mentor meowed. The golden-brown she-cat purred. "If anything, you two caught the rabbit together."

"Did not! I was the one who killed it," Hawkpaw protested. He held his prey protectively.

Sunheart shook her head. "I suppose your mentor didn't teach you about partner hunting yet. Am I right, Hawkpaw?" The brown tabby apprentice didn't say anything, so she continued to talk. "Well, if it weren't for Tigerpaw's chase, you would of never got it in the first place."