Chapter 7

Ash was just gardening the flowers with Delia, Pikachu and Mr Mime when he heard a loud rumbling noise. What could that be?! He wondered, looking in that direction. Then he dropped the watering can.

Marching down the road was a small army of dark dressed Team Rocket operatives with strong pokemon. They had metal armour and guns on their arms. And they were heading right into Pallet Town?!

As more and more people noticed them they retreated into their homes, shutting windows and blinds. Delia grabbed Ash's hand to drag him inside, but Ash reached away. He didn't want to stand and cower while these criminals... did whatever they had come to do! He wanted to stop them!

"Ash..." Delia warned, "Please, be safe, ok?"

"I will mum!" he grinned.

"I'm so proud of you. My darling son!" Delia hugged him before retreating with Mr Mime into the house. Pikachu jumped onto Ash's shoulder.

"Pika pika."

"Well said buddy."

Goh and Cinderace (reluctantly on it's part) managed to sneak away from the ranks and edge behind the side of a house. He sighed, and peeked back at the street. He didn't see Ash, or anyone other than Team Rocket, for that matter. But he obviously knew which one was his crush's house, so he decided to sneak over there. He only managed a couple of steps, however, before something hit him full force, and knocked him out cold, barely even a time to think, Ouch.

Ash didn't think it would be so hard to single handedly defeat the Team Rocket members. But actually, when he thought about it, this wasn't exactly his smartest idea. His pokemon were already looking pretty tired, and all he'd done was delay the dark clothed people in stealing the town's resident pokemon. The townspeople were feebly watching the fight through their windows but even they knew Ash couldn't handle it on his own. He was only a teenage boy after all. So some of them decided to help out, but not too many powerful pokemon trainers lived in Pallet Town, and it was a weak defence, Ash had to admit. They were sorely outnumbered.

It started to rain, heavy globs of water soaked the people and pokemon through, and clouds cast a dark shadow over the town. Ash kept going, though, there was no choice. Then he noticed something. Or rather, someone. It was the pretty Team Rocket operative who kept kidnapping him! He was laying slumped against the ground, Cinderace shaking him and growling. But there was no time for anything, Ash had to keep fighting against the other criminals.

Thunder mixed with shouts and screams and cries, rain mixed with sweat and tears and for the townspeople it felt futile. But they stayed going, going until the Team Rocket members left, retreating because it had become a pointless waste of energy. Lightning was blinding flashes of light but it didn't affect anyone, all too exhausted and confused and upset to notice anything. They stayed out in the street, huffing and panting and watching the dark crowd of criminals grow smaller and smaller into the distance. Most people weren't injured, still the storm kept on raging as the people went back to their homes, taking in safety and comfort and warmth.

Ash ran to the slumped figure of the injured Team Rocket operative. His Cinderace took up an attack stance, as did Pikachu, but he shook his head. Don't even bother. Cinderace realised Ash was here to help and together they took the long haired teen onto Ash's shoulders and carried him away. (Maybe not Ash's best decision, but he will later say the heavy rain was stopping him from seeing clearly.)