Chapter 1

Character might go a bit out of character for this, sorry! I just felt like Inej would smile and laugh more if her parents were there, and I felt Kaz would become a little more humorous if not to gain the approval of the parents. I will try and add some time skips so that this becomes more of a prologue to Welcome back crow, but we'll see! I only own the plot!

That's the laugh. Inej smiled once more before bounding over to the two figures reaching desperately for her. Sinking into their embrace as Kaz followed at a slower pace, stopping to give the family room. Kaz caught himself smiling gentle at the sight before him, stopping only at the memory of Jordie. He watched silently as Inej slowly released her parents, her shoulders tense with the contact. Her lips moving quietly as she asked about their journey and how they had managed to get here as fast as they had. Moments later, Inej was gesturing Kaz, calling him over. He walked over, silent except for the thud of his cane against the hard wood deck of the fifth harbor. 

"Hello," Kaz's raspy voice filled the silence. "Hope your travels were comfortable?" Inej's eyes widened slightly from the respectable tone of voice Kaz had used.

"Quite well actually," Inej's father replied hesitantly eyeing the two with confusion. Inej took this as her cue to speak.

"This is Kaz Brekker. He's the one who brought you here." Her fathers eyes widened as he looked back at the teenager Infront of him, not missing the soft note in his daughters voice. Inej's mother however, looked at Kaz and immediately glanced at her daughter, a smile growing on her lips. Inej quickly averted her eyes. Something that Kaz didn't miss. Her father didn't miss it either, but before he could open his mouth, Kaz spoke.

"I hate to push, but It's getting cold and I'm sure you would like to rest after your travels," Inej nodded, glad for a change in topic. Kaz turned to her, "The room we had for Colm is still open." He stated. Inej was glad that Kaz had chooses the hotel rather than the Slat. As much as she loved her parents and wanted to tell them about her life, she wasn't sure how they would react if they found out she had been living in a closet sized room surrounded by boys and bar fights. 

"Sounds good," She smiled grabbing each of her parents hands and followed closely behind Kaz as he began walking towards solid ground and eventually towards the hotel. Kaz didn't mind walking Infront by himself as long as Inej got some time with her family. Behind him, chatter filled the air. 

"So, how have you been? Are you safe? What happened?" Kaz could hear Inej's mother begin after a few minutes of walking, they were about to enter the barrel and Kaz could practically feel Inej hesitant towards the answer. 

"Inej," Kaz called back before she could respond. Inej apologized to her parents before rushing forward to join Kaz. He glanced over and saw something close to relief in her eyes. "I need you on the roof, it's unlikely, but I want to make sure no one is following." Inej nodded. This was a common routine when the gang went out, not usually when it was just the two of them, but Inej wanted to keep her parents safe, and maybe, just a little, wanted to avoid the previous conversation for as long as possible. Without missing a step Inej disappeared into the shadows and onto the roof. Kaz continued his pace as they entered the barrel, focusing on the details around him as Inej's parents rushed forward. 

"What did you say?" Her father began angerly, worried he had hurt Inej, or rather, sent her away.

"I asked Inej to watch the street from the roofs, sir," Kaz continued forward. "The barrel isn't a pleasant place and it's safer if we had eyes from above." The explanation caused Inej's mother to cover her mouth in order to hide her gasp, as she moved closer to her husband.

"And why did you send Inej?" Her father pushed.

"Because, sir, I'm afraid I am unable to climb up and Inej if far more skilled when in come to that particular practice." Her father gaped at his words while Kaz looked to the roofs, spotting her in the shadows in mere seconds. Signaling her before moving forward. 

Crowds of people moved around them as they approached the hotel entrance. Kaz paused briefly to allow Inej to drop down beside them. Her parent's eyes darting around at the city chaos that surrounded them. Without another word or chance to look at the city, Kaz ushered them inside and immediately moved to the elevator. They're reflection shining in the marble as they moved through the room and into the moving box. Inej stuck close to Kaz, while glancing at her parents making sure they made it, unable to kept the smirk from her face as she took in her parents and their expressions. She didn't miss the twitch in Kaz's lips either, causing her smirk to turn into a smile. Slowly the elevator  began to move, rising higher.

"How- how did you afford this?" Inej's father began. The numbers showing the floor they were on slowly began to stop. Kaz watched as the doors opened. 

"I didn't," He said as he stepped out, leaving Inej's parents staring in shock at his back. Inej couldn't contain herself anymore as she sniggered. Inej followed Kaz knowing full well that Kaz had payed for the room and had only gotten a small discount for the favor the hotel owner had owed him. 

Her parent continued to ramble and question him as they approached the door to the penthouse. Kaz grabbed the handle before looking back, and with complete seriousness, said,

"I'm only joking" and the proceed to open the doors and step inside. The room had been freshly cleaned, as if they knew they were coming, and a fire roared from behind the sitting area, filled with two armchairs and a couch. Kaz wondered over to the phone, calling for room service and ordering some tea and food for himself and his new found company. Inej's parents, still gawking at the room, moved over to the couch, gripping each others hands as they watched their daughter move over to whisper something to Kaz. Kaz nodded and spoke once more into the phone before hanging up and moving over to the sitting area. Inej settled down into one of the armchairs as Kaz stood near the door, waiting for the food to arrive. Her parents seemed to be deep in thought as they pondered what questions to ask their daughter. But what do you ask your daughter after she was taken by slavers and then found again with a boy who had questionable connections. Before they got a chance to talk, a knock sounded by the door. Kaz moved to the door before returning seconds later with a cart of steaming food and a pot of tea.  Inej glanced at her parents,

"I guess you probably want to know what happened." 

Hey guys! Hope you liked the chapter, Not my best but I'm making this up as I go so here you go! Hope you have an amazing day, week, life, you know. Eat good food, BYEEEEEEE!!

Sugi